Can remove a pinned shortcut for a Word Document in the Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Something weird is happening to my Windows 7. Under the start menu, if I check the recent documents for Microsoft Word, there is a document pinned at the top which I simply can't remove. clicking on the pin or right-clicking and choosing to remove doesn't seem to work. 

I had a look for it under the Registry but I couldn't seem to find it.

Then, what I did is to go under the appdata directory of my user and do a dir *string* /s (where string is part of the document file name) and I found one shortcut under Roaming\Microsoft\Office\Recent

I deleted such shortcut hoping this would be the end of the pesky shortcut. Ah, the shortcut points to a file in my Skydrive.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

P.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:31 PM

Answers

• Hi There,

I did sort the problem out, but I had to delete something else.

I went into Recent\AutomaticDestinations directory and I moved all files to another folder. That fixed my problem!

So I then moved them back, and the problem returned.

So what I did is to open each file into notepad and look into the contents. The files are binary, but I could see the shortcut they were pointing to. So I found the culprit and moved it away from the folder, and after confirming the specific file that was causing me grievance, I deleted it.

Regards,

P.

• Marked as answer by pmdci Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:55 AM

All replies