none
Project Portfolio Dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to figure out if you need to create a project in "Project Online" in order for it to populate the Office 365 Project Portfolio Dashboard". 

I created my projects on the desktop version and then saved to SharePoint (i.e. Task List via Site Assets) so that my team can update and view the schedule. Would this data automatically integrate and populate the dashboard, or must I use Project Online?

I have Project Online, but for some reason I cannot access Project Online. I request our ITs help to ensure my permission level was set right to use this application. 

Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need Project Online.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:42 PM
  • You need Project Online as Ben states. Office 365 Project Portfolio Dashboard uses the Project Online data from the Project Online reporting OData API.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, April 7, 2017 6:41 AM
  • Thanks Gents, I was able to figure this out yesterday.

One issue I am having however, is that external resource can't be entered (and won't upload when i create the task list). I added external resources to my resource pool on the web app, but it still won't allow me to enter the resource stating they can't be found (assuming because its searching the SharePoint directory and not the resource pool) 

Friday, April 7, 2017 6:09 PM
  • If you have requested access you will need to get someone who has Administrator rights to access Project Online and once there access Site Settings and in the Users and Permissions section check "Access Requests and Invitations" - your request should be visible there.

It would also be useful to know which security model you are using SharePoint Permissions mode or Project Permissions Mode - I personally favour the latter.

Once you are set up with the appropriate permissions you should be able to connect from Project Professional to Project Online using a Project Account. This will then eliminate the SharePoint tasks list approach you are using at present.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Sunday, April 9, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Thanks Dominic. I will have to follow up with our IT Dept. to see if they can provide further assistance. 

I setup email notification for late tasks, upcoming tasks etc... and selected the option for me to be notified in addition to the assigned resource. However, I have late task and upcoming task within the parameters I chose and no email notification has been sent. These resources do not have the Project Web app, but I read once I set this rule, they would be notified.

Monday, April 10, 2017 11:47 PM
  • Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to edit the data source that updates Office 365 Project Portfolio. When I create my project in Project Professional I entered the duration and the work effort for each task. However, When I upload into project online (SharePoint task list), the work effort does not seem to upload. Thus, in my 365 Project Portfolio the work effort is showing up as the full hours of the duration; i.e. 2 wks = 80hrs. I need this to be for example a duration of 2wks, but 30hrs of work effort. I know how this is done in MS Project, however when I create the SharePoint Task list there is no option to correct the "work".

How do I correct this?

Thanks in advance. 

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:57 PM