Windows XP DNS issues in browser RRS feed

• Question

• Strange issue:

Intermittent resolve issue within browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) for web pages.  nslookup works and I can use the IP address in the browser to resolve (to some degree depending on the page and any potential redirection, etc...), but from time to time the browser (doesn't matter which one) will not resolve.  Wait a few minutes and it will.  Flushed DNS, reinstalled network driver (made sure had latest version), made sure XP has all available patches/updates to both software and hardware (at SP3), even went through the effort of reinstalling the OS from scratch, etc.....

Having similar problem with another user on a 7 laptop, but not as bad and have not looked at it closely enough to determine if it is even remotely related.

No other machine in the environment is experiencing this issue.  Most are 2k pro.  Servers are 2k with AD (laptops are not using active directory - although I added the xp laptop to AD to rule this out - made no difference at all).

*scratching my head*

Thanks....

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:55 PM

All replies

• "even went through the effort of reinstalling the OS from scratch, etc....."

What networking device are you using ? A switch ?

Regards, h9ck3r.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Cisco switches, Cisco router, Cisco firewall (asa), Barracuda web filter (bypassing it specifically, reset it as well).  I will defer to the experts, but being that nslookup will find the web site when the browser will not, my thinking is that there is something wrong on the machine.....of course being I can not find the answer to my problems myself I'm guessing I could be all wet too.  ;)

Let me know if you need more specific information, I can go hunt the port down and see which switch specifically is used and get a config if you really want.....

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Hi!

If that machine is under DHCP scope ,please try to give a static IP address and static DNS address.

Trying to switching the machine in a domain from dynamic to static will help.

Please check it up.. :-)

Friday, August 10, 2012 10:45 AM
  • add IPaddress and site name in host file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hots)and check it

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:40 AM