Recover items from deleted calendar folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The user works on the Outlook 2013 and Exchange 2010.
    He noticed than one of his additional calendars is missing (probably deleted).
    He found a lot of calendar appointments from this missing calendar in the Recover Deleted Items (Dumpster) but he could not found the calendar folder.
    When he selected calendar items and recover them he couldn't find them.

Question1: Where he should look for recovered calendar items while the original calendar is missing?

Question2: Is there any way to recover deleted calendar folder? 

BR Michal Ziemba

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:20 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can see the data in the root folder.  Do the following:  Right click the root and select Data File Properties.  Click the Home Page tab.  Deselect "Show home page by default for this folder". This will allow you to see the items in the root of the mailbox. You can then select the Folders option (bottom left corner, where you see Mail, Calendar, People, and Tasks) and select and drag these items into the Calendar folder you want them to go into.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

• Marked as answer by Michal Ziemba Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:12 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:04 PM

All replies

• You can't recover the folder itself, but you can create a new one and recover into it.  However, to recover into the calendar folder, you will need to either 1) recover into some other folder, such as the Deleted Items, that can hold calendar items without trying to turn them into normal mail items, then move them to the calendar folder; or 2) recover the items using OWA, which will let you move them directly to the calendar folder.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Hi Will

Thank you for support. In this situation, the user tried to recover the calendar items when the focus was at the root folder of the mailbox. Now he cannot find those items and they are gone from the Recover Deleted Items (Dumpster). How can I help him to find those recovered items?

BR Michal Ziemba

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:12 PM
  • The items are in the root of his mailbox.  From any folder, he will need to click in the Search <folder name> cell at the top of the item list, then on the Search ribbon, select Search Tools, then Advanced Find.  In this, he can click the Browse button and select the root of the mailbox, making sure to deselect any other folder, as well as the Search subfolders selection at the bottom.  Click OK, then Find Now and he will see the items at the root of the mailbox.  He can select all of these and move them (right-click, Move) to the new calendar folder he just created.  HTH ...

Will Martin ...

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, we can restore the deleted items in the retention time.

We can't recover the calendar folder, we had to restore item by item.

More Reference:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/recover-deleted-items-HA010355039.aspx

Regards,

David 

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:07 AM
  • Well, the case seems not be so simple.

The user complain that he cannot find restored items and they are gone from the Recover Deleted Items (Dumpster). I have checked this personally and I cannot find them as well in the root folder of the mailbox or any other folder in this mailbox.
    The task should be fairly simple because all recovered items had the same simple subject "w" (only one character w) but I cannot find it anywhere.

Do you have any more ideas how to approach to this?

BR Michal Ziemba

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Assuming he was using Outlook to recover the items, what folder had the focus when he recovered the items from the Dumpster?  That is the folder the items should have been recovered into.  And when you did the search, did you search for Calendar Items?  It'll simplify your search.

Will Martin ...

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

If you cannot find items in the mailbox dumpster, it is not in the Deleted Items folder or Recover Deleted Items, I think you need to restore it from the backup.

Regards,

David 

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

I used the Search-Mailbox command with -LogOnly option to see if this can find those items in the mailbox.
    I found them in the "Primary Mailbox". I suppose this means root folder of the mailbox, right?

So how to get them if Search - Search Tools - Advanced Find cannot find them? Is there any way to show the content of the root mailbox folder?

Just in case I make a mistake in searching and do not notice it, I put the screen dump from the search window having more eyes look at it.

BR Michal Ziemba

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Yes, you can see the data in the root folder.  Do the following:  Right click the root and select Data File Properties.  Click the Home Page tab.  Deselect "Show home page by default for this folder". This will allow you to see the items in the root of the mailbox. You can then select the Folders option (bottom left corner, where you see Mail, Calendar, People, and Tasks) and select and drag these items into the Calendar folder you want them to go into.

Will Martin ...

• Marked as answer by Michal Ziemba Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:12 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:04 PM
  • Great!

I should have known this before :-)

Thank you Will. I managed to see restored items in the user mailbox now.

BR Michal Ziemba

Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:11 PM