All Settings for Library RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to set up a couple of computers for public access.  I have downloaded a few programs that kids and adults both like to use, AIM, flash player, and Open Office.  I would like these shown on the desktop under the ALL profile.  I have tried going under ADMIN and putting the shortcuts under desktop and start menu but that hasn't worked.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Carole

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:53 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Carole, I'd like to quote the following paragraph in Windows SteadyState handbook on how to create a custom Default User Profile. Please check if this is useful for you.

To create a custom Default User profile

1.    Log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

2.    Create a new local user profile.

3.    Log off and then log on as the local user that you just created.

4.    Customize the user settings and environment. For example, you could:

§  Customize the Start menu.

§  Customize the desktop and taskbar.

§  Install and configure printers.

5.    Log off and then log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

6.    Configure and apply restrictions for the newly created user profile.

7.    Click Start, and then click My Computer.

8.    Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

9.    In the Folder Options dialog box, on the View tab, under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK. Several of the files in the new profile are hidden by default and must be visible to be copied to the new custom Default User profile.

10. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

11. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.

12. In the User Profiles dialog box, click the user profile that you just created and customized, and then click Copy To.

13. In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, click Browse, click the \Documents and Settings\Default User folder, and then click OK.

14. Under Permitted to use, click Change, click Everyone, and then click OK. If Everyone is not available, click Advanced, click Find Now, click Everyone, and then click OK.

After the Default User profile is customized, Windows XP assigns the Default User profile along with its restrictions to any new user who logs on to the computer. This technique cannot be used to lock new user profiles as they are created. However, you can use customized Default User profiles along with Windows Disk Protection to clear the new user profiles that are created on the Windows partition with each restart of the computer.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:44 AM

All replies

• since no one seems to know, is there a number I could call for tech support?

Thank you,

carole

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:06 PM
  •  

Hi Carole, I'd like to quote the following paragraph in Windows SteadyState handbook on how to create a custom Default User Profile. Please check if this is useful for you.

To create a custom Default User profile

1.    Log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

2.    Create a new local user profile.

3.    Log off and then log on as the local user that you just created.

4.    Customize the user settings and environment. For example, you could:

§  Customize the Start menu.

§  Customize the desktop and taskbar.

§  Install and configure printers.

5.    Log off and then log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

6.    Configure and apply restrictions for the newly created user profile.

7.    Click Start, and then click My Computer.

8.    Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

9.    In the Folder Options dialog box, on the View tab, under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK. Several of the files in the new profile are hidden by default and must be visible to be copied to the new custom Default User profile.

10. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

11. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.

12. In the User Profiles dialog box, click the user profile that you just created and customized, and then click Copy To.

13. In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, click Browse, click the \Documents and Settings\Default User folder, and then click OK.

14. Under Permitted to use, click Change, click Everyone, and then click OK. If Everyone is not available, click Advanced, click Find Now, click Everyone, and then click OK.

After the Default User profile is customized, Windows XP assigns the Default User profile along with its restrictions to any new user who logs on to the computer. This technique cannot be used to lock new user profiles as they are created. However, you can use customized Default User profiles along with Windows Disk Protection to clear the new user profiles that are created on the Windows partition with each restart of the computer.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:44 AM