none
Custom Fields - Calculation for Assignment Rows - Data rolls DOWN to timesheets, but not UP from timesheets RRS feed

• Question

• We have a couple of custom enterprise fields that we would like to be synced between both the project schedule page AND the tasks and timesheet pages in PWA.

We're half way there with the "roll down, unless manually specified" selection in the enterprise custom field options. This pushes the data from the project schedule page down to the tasks/timesheet pages.

So far so good.

However, we also need our end users (not just project managers) to edit these same fields from the tasks/timesheet pages. And they need to sync back upwards to the project schedule page so the project managers can see this data as well.

If I understand correctly, what I'm experiencing is default behavior. (rolls down, not up)

But what would it take to get things to work the way we need it to? Custom code, a setting somewhere etc?

thanks

Anton

• Changed type Technessable Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:29 PM This is really a question
    • Edited by Technessable Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Anton,

you can add a macro like this to EGlobal to make it available to everyone. Unfortunately it will only work in Project client, not in browser.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Technessable Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Anton,

this is no customizable option. Just think of a custom field with some text value - what should be rolled up?

You can do this e.g. with a macro, if you can define a logic what you want to see. Here a sample just building the total for task field of time number for all assignments.

Sub RollUp()

Dim T As Task
     Dim A As Assignment

For Each T In ActiveProject.Tasks
         If Not T Is Nothing And Not T.Summary Then
             vFieldValue = 0
             For Each A In T.Assignments
                 vFieldValue = vFieldValue + A.<YourFieldName>
             Next A
             T.<YourFieldName> = vFieldValue
         End If
     Next T
     End Sub

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:16 PM
  • Hi Barbara, thanks for the reply.

I just had a couple questions:

1. Would a macro such as this be entered in the Enterprise Global?

2. If entered in the Enterprise Global, will it still perform the field value syncing when using only PWA?...or will this only work if using the desktop client?

thanks

Anton

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:02 PM
  • Hi Anton,

you can add a macro like this to EGlobal to make it available to everyone. Unfortunately it will only work in Project client, not in browser.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Technessable Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:23 PM
  • Thanks Barbara,

I'll see how far I can get with the macro.

I'm assuming if the project file is published from the desktop client (after the macro runs), the data will show up in browser as well as sort of a workaround.

We may have to hit our IT Department up for a event receiver or something so that something similar will work in browser without the use of the desktop client.

thanks again

Anton

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:36 PM
  • I have this same issue. Resources can add a task in their Tasks or Timesheet panel. Tasks include a field using a custom look-up table of pre-defined values. They can select the value in their Tasks or Timesheets panel, but it will not roll-up to the same column in the project schedule. Is this 'functioning as designed'?

Drew Abas Business Analyst III, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

this is by design. How should it be rolled up, everyone may have a different idea about that. Just think of a custom field with some text value - what should be rolled up?

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:18 AM