Azure Backup / On Prem Virtual Machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, i'm evaluating some hyper-v virtual machine backup solutions and am now looking at Azure Backup as a possible solution. Let's say that you have several on-premise win2012r2 hyper-v clusters running about 400 virtual machines using about 30 terabytes of data.  Would Azure backup be an acceptable backup solution for an environment of this size? That's a lot of data flowing out of the network, over the internet, and into Azure. Let's say there is an Express Route connection into Azure. Does that make things better? Let's say for testing I want to back up a hyper-v cluster with 160 virtual machines and  12 terabytes of data. Do I have to install an agent on each one of the virtual machines? I'm just looking for some feedback on whether or not a virtual machine environment of this size might be able to leverage Azure Backup.  
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

We are discussing this scenario with our operations team. Will keep you posted on the same.

Stay tuned for the updates!

Regards,

Sadiqh

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:54 PM
  • Hi there, any response from the operations team on whether this type of remote backup is actually something that should be considered?
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Thank you for your patience!

It’s not clear which solution you're asking about but you would not be able to use the Azure Backup (MARS) agent because that does not support workloads such as VMs.  You would need to use either “Azure Backup Server” or “DPM”.  You also mention this is Hyper-V so the IaaS VM backup doesn’t apply.  DPM and ABS both require local storage so you would have Recovery Points created locally to the DPM/ABS server before sending data to Azure.  Then to address you questions about sizing…it would depend on how often you want to upload the local Recovery Points to Azure (daily/weekly/monthly/etc?).  With Express Route I wouldn’t have concerns for daily and for a regular connection you could likely run 1-2x per month.  You should get some high performing disk for your Azure Scratch volume on the DPM/ABS server though.

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:29 PM
  • Hi 

I'm looking at disaster recovery solution onto azure. I know we have Azure Site recovery for this. But if we want to use backup vault or Azure backup Server for backup of few on premises VM's like DC and critical app VM's. In case of disaster would I be able to restore backed up VM on to Azure IAAS itself. Does it allow to change restore location. Can say cross premises restoration.?

Many thanks!

Atul

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:04 PM
  • inline answers:

i'm evaluating some hyper-v virtual machine backup solutions and am now looking at Azure Backup as a possible solution. Let's say that you have several on-premise win2012r2 hyper-v clusters running about 400 virtual machines using about 30 terabytes of data.  

Details on blog https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/blog/azure-backup-enables-backup-of-large-volumes-vms-databases-and-more/.

Also initial backups can be seeded over importing disks to Azure https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/backup-azure-backup-import-export/ and incremental backups can be transferred through network.

Would Azure backup be an acceptable backup solution for an environment of this size? That's a lot of data flowing out of the network, over the internet, and into Azure. Let's say there is an Express Route connection into Azure.

With more bandwidth Azure Backup agents on multiple machines can simultaneously pump the data to Azure.

Does that make things better? Let's say for testing I want to back up a hyper-v cluster with 160 virtual machines and  12 terabytes of data.

Answered above.

Do I have to install an agent on each one of the virtual machines?

Azure Backup server functionality is similar to DPM. Details @ https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757970.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I'm just looking for some feedback on whether or not a virtual machine environment of this size might be able to leverage Azure Backup.  

Sunday, April 3, 2016 10:17 AM