Implement Outlook Auto Archiving feature RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning Team,

My client is running a on prem Exchange 2016 organization with several servers in a DAG. They are running the latest CU16, and clients are in a Windows 2016 single forest/domain with their workstations using Windows 10 and office 2013/2016.

Here is the request, due to some space disk constraints, we are asked to implement Outlook Auto Archiving feature. 
    This would allow our users to move their mail to PST.  The option is located in File -> Options -> Advanced -> Auto Archive Settings and it is currently disabled.

Can you please provide me step by step instructions to setup a GPO user to implement this feature? Please, provide as much details as you can.

Franki

Friday, April 17, 2020 1:58 PM

Answers

• Where do you get stuck?
    See: Setting Outlook Group Policies

You can find the AutoArchive settings in;
    User Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> Microsoft Outlook 2016-> Outlook Options-> Other-> AutoArchive

The same applies to Outlook 2013 but then you'd of course need to use the Outlook 2013 templates (also linked in the article I provided).

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Jason Patrick Wednesday, April 22, 2020 5:22 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2020 6:34 PM

All replies

• Good Morning Team,

My client is running a on prem Exchange 2016 organization with several servers in a DAG. They are running the latest CU16, and clients are in a Windows 2016 single forest/domain with their workstations using Windows 10 and office 2013/2016.

Here is the request, due to some space disk constraints, we are asked to implement Outlook Auto Archiving feature.
    This would allow our users to move their mail to PST.  The option is located in File -> Options -> Advanced -> Auto Archive Settings and it is currently disabled.

Can you please provide me step by step instructions to setup a GPO user to implement this feature? Please, provide as much details as you can

Franki

Friday, April 17, 2020 1:44 PM
  • Where do you get stuck?
    See: Setting Outlook Group Policies

You can find the AutoArchive settings in;
    User Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> Microsoft Outlook 2016-> Outlook Options-> Other-> AutoArchive

The same applies to Outlook 2013 but then you'd of course need to use the Outlook 2013 templates (also linked in the article I provided).

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Jason Patrick Wednesday, April 22, 2020 5:22 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2020 6:34 PM
  • Saturday, April 18, 2020 12:06 PM
  • Hi Franki,

>> The option is located in File -> Options -> Advanced -> Auto Archive Settings and it is currently disabled.
    Is the option you mentioned disabled like below?

If so, according to my research and test, GPO settings may indeed cause issues like this, please follow the steps below to enable this feature:

1. Exit Outlook if it is running.
    2. Download Office Group Policy template (Office 2013, Office 2016) based on your Outlook version and select a location to extract files.
    3. Go to the ADMX folder, copy and paste all contents to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions.
    4. Open your Group Policy Editor.
    5. Go to: User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Outlook 2016(2013)\Outlook Options\Other\AutoArchive
    6. Check the State of AutoArchive Settings and modify it as Not Configured like below
    7. Restart Outlook and see if it works

If this is not your case, please provide me with more information related your issue for further research.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 20, 2020 5:54 AM