none
material and work resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have work and material resources. When I enter the daily reports by task usage, I look to the finish date, work resource's finish date and material resource's finish date are not equal. I assigned them at the same time but still they do not work together. When i set baseline and enter the daily work hours and daily quantity to the graphical cells the remaining days' work quantities should change automatically but they don't change.

Task Name Work Baseline Variance Actual Remaining Start Finish
    install metal studs 890 hrs 890 hrs 0 hrs 160 hrs 730 hrs 27.04.14 07:30 21.05.14 10:00
       master-metal stud fixer 890 hrs 890 hrs 0 hrs 160 hrs 730 hrs 27.04.14 07:30 21.05.14 10:00
       metal stud 4.082,97 m² 4.083 m² -0,03 m² 1.117 m² 2.965,97 m² 27.04.14 07:30 19.05.14 09:08

Where do i make mistake? 

Thanks

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Selcukz,

If you work in the task usage view, you will update individual assignments and not the entire task. Meaning that it could be normal that 2 assignments on a single task have different finish date.

For example if you add some work on the "master metal stud fixer" work resource in the timephased grid, let's say for an additional week, it will not add accordingly a week to the "metal stud" material resource assignment on the same task. Thus the 2 assignments will have a different finish date and the task will have its finish date equal to the latest assignments finish date, 21.05.14 in your case.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:06 PM
  • selcukz,

First of all, which version of Project are you using? Is it updated with the latest service pack? (I know you have posted several times before, but we can't keep track of everyone's version and configuration, so it is very helpful to provide that data each time you post a new message).

Do you have custom calendars for either resource? For example, if your work resource has a custom calendar but the material resource is using the standard (or different) calendar, then the finish dates will be different from the beginning, you just may  not have noticed it when you set up the task.

Do you have calculation set to automatic?

John

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:17 PM
  • Hi!

I don't use custom calendars. Automatic calculation. MSP 2013 Proffessional. 

Should i set the material resource unit to m2/hr for finishing the two resources the same time?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:00 PM
  • By default both resources assigned on the task will have the same start and finish dates (inherited from the task itself). If you don't manually edit the assignments in the timephased grid of the usage view, it won't change.

Do not set the label as m2/hr since you will specify m2 on a given period, depending on the task duration.

If you recreate it, it should be ok as per my screenshot.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:54 PM
  • selcukz,

You need to install SP1, although that may or may not fix your problem.

Both Guillaume and myself replicated your task and both of us had consistent start and finish dates for both the work and material resource. It would help us tohelp you if you described in more detail how you set up the task, assigned the resources and then and how you statused it.

John

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:46 PM
  • I think i've found something different.

I open a new Project File and I create a task. After that i create 1 work resource and 1 material resource.

Then i assign both of them to the task.

Then setting the baseline. And i enter the first day's work hours and material's quantity to the task usage graph. I track they work together. When i write to the first day's hour a different hour, material's remaining days' quantities adjust theirselves automatically. 

There is nothing wrong now.

But when i "save as" the project file and close and again open, this time i cannot do the same thing again.

I wish i could explain my problem.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:12 PM
  • selcukz,

You still didn't answer the question of whether you have SP1 installed for Project 2013. That's important.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong on your task setup or statusing although I don't quite understand your statement about writing "to the first day's hour a different hour" and the material day's quantity adjusting itself. Could you elaborate on that please.

When you do a "save as" and then re-open, what exactly do you mean about being able to do the "same thing". What do your mean, "same thing"?

John

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Hi

"to the first day's hour a different hour" 

I wanted to say: after stting baseline, i started to enter my daily executions and work hours to the place on the right side of the pane

and when i enter "Act. Work" hours and "Act. Work (m2)" to the cells, the finish date should be the same for work resource and material resource.

Here you can see, they are not same and not working well. This is a big problem for my tracking.

"When you do a "save as" and then re-open, what exactly do you mean about being able to do the "same thing". What do your mean, "same thing"?"

I mean I created a project and setted baseline, When i enter the work and material to the graphical pane, it works well, but if i close the program and reopen it the finish dates don't be the same as i explained above.

Sorry for my english. I couldn't explained well. But i wish you'll understand me :)

And another problem for SP1, when i load it, all my office programs was frozen.

Thanks

Friday, May 16, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Indeed it looks like a bug if data when you're reopening the plan are different from the one just after saving and publishing the project plan.

Are you sure nobody opens the project plan and updates it?

Can you try to reproduce this behavior on another project plan?

In case this is specific to this plan, it could be corrupted. Then in order to repair it, you could try to save the project as XML format and save it again as MPP. Be aware that you'll loose all formatting while saving as XML.

In case you can reproduce the behavior in another file, it could be MS Project that has a bug. Thus you could try to repair it from the control panel.

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 16, 2014 3:48 PM
  • selcukz,

Let's look at what I believe is the most important issue first. That is, installing SP1 for Project 20103. I don't know why it would cause you Office applications to freeze up but something is clearly very wrong. Did you attempt to install SP1 for both Office 2013 and Project 2013? Note there are two different SP1 updates, one for Office and one for Project, so you need to install them both. If neither will install without causing problems then I'd suggest you un-install both Office and Project and go through a re-install process.

Until the above issue is cleared up, I don't think it is worthwhile to chase a problem in Project that may not be real.

John

Friday, May 16, 2014 4:37 PM