Explorer Has never worked RRS feed

• Question

• The failure has to do with opening more than one instance of explorer, this basic aspect of Vista was never tested, like building an automobile and never testing the brakes or steering.

Let's face it. Bill has released an untested product.

I don't have time to work for Microsoft for free.

If Microsoft is going to dominate a market it should be responsible.

Responsible for operation/quality

Responsible for security/quality

Responsible for improvement/quality

Heres a CONCEPT Test it yourself Microsoft

MsBill needs to spend some of those billions on customer satisfaction/QUALITY

I have sent a dozens of error reports, and never once been notified, or sent any type of fix for any windows products

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Del,

Thank you for the reply.

First I would like to say the Windows Explorer issue is not a common issue. The issue does not occur on most Windows Vista computers. This issue can usually be caused by third-party program conflicts, viruses or hardware.

Therefore, I suggested testing the issue in Safe Mode and the Clean Boot state only to check if it is related to third-party programs. As it is a fresh system and the issue occurred just after the first startup, it may be convenient for us to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows Vista now.

Currently, I suggest formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows Vista. After reinstalling Windows Vista, the issue will probably disappear. Even if the issue persists, reinstalling Windows Vista can be the fastest way for us to determine the cause of the issue. Before formatting the drive, please back up your important files first. If you only have an OEM Windows Vista disk that cannot be used to format the drive, please restore the system to its factory settings to test the result.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:14 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Del,

Thank you for the post.

First I would like to explain that before the official released version of Windows Vista, Microsoft tested the beta version for nearly a year, and many customers also participated in our free Windows Vista beta test. With Microsoft testing engineers' hard work and customers' feedbacks, we did resolve potential bugs and make Windows Vista more user-friendly. Please be assured we always take customers feedback seriously to improve our product quality.

Our product developing group has made great effort on improving the security of windows Vista from different aspects. UAC, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender are developed to protect the system from various security threats. For example, antivirus software is generally designed to protect the computer against viruses while UAC and Windows Defender are mainly for protecting the system from malicious software and hacker attacks.

In addition, Microsoft has released an anti-virus program, – Windows Live OneCare, which is compatible with Vista. You can access the following site to obtain more information.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/technologies/onecare/default.mspx

Del, please understand that error reporting is the mechanism that sends error details to Microsoft for aggregation and analysis. When receiving an error, you are presented with the interface shown below, with options to Send Error Report or Don’t Send. All error information submitted through the tool you have mentioned is sent to our development team anonymously. We do not collect any personal information during the reporting process in order to protect users privacy. Error reporting is mainly used for Windows design improvement.

If you would like to troubleshoot the issue on your system, you can either contact your OEM support or Microsoft support:

I have included the Microsoft support website below for your reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance

In addition, you can discuss the issue in our Microsoft TechNet forum or public newsgroup.

I can understand that the current situation can be frustrating. Now I would like to know the exact symptom of the issue you are encountering, and I am happy to be of assistance.

Please help me confirm the following points:

1. Is that only one Explorer can be opened because if we open the second one, there will be a system crash?

2. Is the Explorer you mentioned Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?

3. When did the issue begin to occur?

4. Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

5. Does the issue also occur in Safe Mode?

Currently, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test the result.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the result.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later. If System Configuration Utility displays, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:01 AM
  • Hey Tim,

Thanks for the pre-canned Blah Blah.

Guess if you treat me like I am stupid, I will stop.

1) YES AS SOON AS I RIGHT CLICK "EXPLORE" FOR THE SECOND TIME TO OPEN UP DESTINATION

2) WINDOWS EXPLORER

3) IT STARTED IMEDIATELY UPON FIRST START OF VISTA ULTIMATE. NO OTHER PROGRAMS INSTALLED.

4) JUST MICROSOFTS UODATES

5) OH YEAH THAT'S CONVIENIENT IF I WANT TO MANAGE FILES USE "SAFE MODE"???

IT CRASHES CONSISTANTLY WHEN MORE THAN ONE WINDOW OF "WINDOWS EXPLORER" IS OPEN.

I CANNOT EASILY MANAGE FILES, I CAN "DRAG AND DROP" WITH A MAC.

I COULD DRAG AND DROP BETWEEN "WINDOWS EXPLORER" WINDOWS AS FAR BACK AS WINDOWS 95

CLEAN BOOT? SORRY PAL, THIS IS A WHOLE NEW HARD DRIVE, CLEANEST INSTALL OF VISTA ULTIMATE POSSIBLE.

OH AND IT IS NOT ASKING TO SEND AN "ERROR REPORT" I AVERAGE ABOUT 12 A DAY WITH XP AND NEVER EVER GOT A REPLY.

JUST EMAIL ME THE PATCH....OR A SLIDESHOW ILLISTRATING HOW TO FIX IT.

NEXT BETA GROUP? PICK PEOPLE WHO WILL DO MORE WITH THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAN FORWARD BULK  E-MAILS TO EVERYONE IN THERE ADSRESS BOOK.

I HAVE SERIOUS WORK TO DO, AND MY COMPETITORS IN FORIEGN COUNTRIES USE MACS. 

Sunday, December 30, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Hi Del,

Thank you for the reply.

First I would like to say the Windows Explorer issue is not a common issue. The issue does not occur on most Windows Vista computers. This issue can usually be caused by third-party program conflicts, viruses or hardware.

Therefore, I suggested testing the issue in Safe Mode and the Clean Boot state only to check if it is related to third-party programs. As it is a fresh system and the issue occurred just after the first startup, it may be convenient for us to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows Vista now.

Currently, I suggest formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows Vista. After reinstalling Windows Vista, the issue will probably disappear. Even if the issue persists, reinstalling Windows Vista can be the fastest way for us to determine the cause of the issue. Before formatting the drive, please back up your important files first. If you only have an OEM Windows Vista disk that cannot be used to format the drive, please restore the system to its factory settings to test the result.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:14 AM