none
How to port Sharepoint 2013 task lists to Project Online 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We will be moving from Sharepoint 2013 on prem to Project Online 2016 and I'm wondering about options for porting our Sharepoint 2013 task lists.

1. Is it possible to import Sharepoint 2013 tasks lists into Sharepoint 2016?
    2. Is it possible to promote a Sharepoint 2013 task list to a 2016 Enterprise Project? 
    3. Other ideas?

Thank you!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:55 PM

Answers

• 1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Plenty, but not sure they interest you!

To accomplish number one, go to List Settings, and save your list as a Template checking the box to include content. Download a copy of the saved template. Now go to template library in your new online instance and upload the copy that you downloaded. Use the Add an App feature to create the task list using the uploaded template.

If your intention is to convert all of them to enterprise projects, then there is no need to create them as lists. Instead, open each task list with project and save them as .mpp files. Then open and save the newly created projects to your new Project Online instance.

You can also use SharePoint lists attached to Project Web App, and then eventually promote them. Grab a copy of my book Implementing and Administering Microsoft Project Server 2013. It's all covered there.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:24 AM

All replies

• 1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Plenty, but not sure they interest you!

To accomplish number one, go to List Settings, and save your list as a Template checking the box to include content. Download a copy of the saved template. Now go to template library in your new online instance and upload the copy that you downloaded. Use the Add an App feature to create the task list using the uploaded template.

If your intention is to convert all of them to enterprise projects, then there is no need to create them as lists. Instead, open each task list with project and save them as .mpp files. Then open and save the newly created projects to your new Project Online instance.

You can also use SharePoint lists attached to Project Web App, and then eventually promote them. Grab a copy of my book Implementing and Administering Microsoft Project Server 2013. It's all covered there.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:24 AM
  • Thank you! I will give it a try.
    Monday, May 23, 2016 8:41 PM
  • By the way, I was hoping there would be a way to enter the URL of the 2013 SP task list or something like that, rather than doing a double-hop :). Bummer.
    Monday, May 23, 2016 8:44 PM