none
Update problems September 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I attempted to download and install the latest update for my Windows 10 but my computer froze when I tried to bring up RealPlayer (RealTimes) that I had recently added to my computer. I tried to soft reboot and, in frustration, I turned off the computer with a hard reboot. Ever since then, when attempting to download and install both Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176938) and Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189031) I receive a 'Failed to install on' and the date of the attempt. I also received the following error message, (0x800705b4). Can anyone assist please? Thanks in advance.

By the way, this wasn't Windows 10 IT Pro, just Windows 10 home version but I couldn't find a more user friendly way to get my question onto this forum.

Sunday, September 4, 2016 2:57 AM

Answers

• David hk129,

A clean install? Wiping everything out and starting all over? Any other suggestions?

You could try a Repair Install.

Repair Install allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.

No product key is required and Activation is automatic.

Use the same MCT link > download the iso file of your Win 10 version > Right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.

Installation will begin. 

*** adding : in Repair Install, you don't need to burn the iso file to a bootable DVD. But it is always a good idea to do so anyway. For future use. ***

Sunday, September 4, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

As David said, use Windows iso image to execute a repair installation is a good way to deal with system issue.

Download Home edition’s image and mount it, before install, I suggest to back up your important data that stored in C disk.

After reinstall system, you may need to reinstall your programs.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:48 AM

All replies

• I attempted to download and install the latest update for my Windows 10 but my computer froze when I tried to bring up RealPlayer (RealTimes) that I had recently added to my computer. I tried to soft reboot and, in frustration, I turned off the computer with a hard reboot. Ever since then, when attempting to download and install both Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176938) and Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189031) I receive a 'Failed to install on' and the date of the attempt. I also received the following error message, (0x800705b4). Can anyone assist please? Thanks in advance.

By the way, this wasn't Windows 10 IT Pro, just Windows 10 home version but I couldn't find a more user friendly way to get my question onto this forum.

The only suggestion I have to offer is to do a clean install.

Here is the MCT link to download the ISO file. Burn it to a bootable DVD or USB and do a Clean Install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

P.S. The forum name is Windows 10 IT Pro. Just a name.

It does not mean it is just for Win 10 Pro version. You have found the right forum.

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, September 4, 2016 4:04 AM
    Sunday, September 4, 2016 3:55 AM
  • David hk129,

A clean install? Wiping everything out and starting all over? Any other suggestions?

Sunday, September 4, 2016 9:10 PM
  • David hk129,

You could try a Repair Install.

Repair Install allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.

No product key is required and Activation is automatic.

Use the same MCT link > download the iso file of your Win 10 version > Right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.

Installation will begin. 

*** adding : in Repair Install, you don't need to burn the iso file to a bootable DVD. But it is always a good idea to do so anyway. For future use. ***

Sunday, September 4, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

As David said, use Windows iso image to execute a repair installation is a good way to deal with system issue.

Download Home edition’s image and mount it, before install, I suggest to back up your important data that stored in C disk.

After reinstall system, you may need to reinstall your programs.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:48 AM
  • It could be possible the Windows Store Cache could not correctly register one of its apps. Running PowerShell and typing Get-WindowsUpdateLog will place a text file on your desktop that you can check for errors. (I use notepad to open the WindowsUpdateLog and use the find feature of notepad by typing "error" and find next.)

Sometimes it is faster to just guess if your list of Store Apps are small. Click on the flying window, then click on Settings. A new window appears. Click on System and select Apps and Features. A new Window appears with all of your installed Apps. Windows 10 now has a feature for resetting Store Apps that may be corrupted. Adobe, for instance, is not a Store App, so you may have to delete it or modify it. When you click on a store app, such as alarm clock for instance, you will see an "Advanced Features" option. When you click on the advanced features option, you will be allowed to Reset that particular app. I would try deleting and re-installing those non-store apps that you complain about, and, I would reset any suspected store app first before I would do a re-image.

There are plenty of internet articles on resetting the store cache on the net. Read carefully so that you don't get sucked into buying something. Legitimate articles should give you command prompts for accomplishing this task.

Monday, September 12, 2016 7:46 PM