Install OneDrive for Business 2016 - "Office 2013 is installed, OneDrive for Business 2016 cannot be installed ..." RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client where we are setting up Sharepoint Online Sync, but everytime we run into the following error when installing OneDrive for Business 2016 as they are using Office 2016 installed from Office 365 Business.

Install OneDrive for Business 2016

Office 2013 is installed

Office 2013 is installed, OneDrive for Business 2016 cannot be installed wth Office 2013. Upgrade to Office 2016 before installing OneDrive for Business 2016.

BUT .......... we did install Office 2016 directly from Office 365??!!! I even used a Microsoft Uninstall Office tool to completely remove office then reinstall. 

My thoughts is that there is either an Office 2013 registry key or file which is there from when Office 2013 may of been on this computer. Maybe the Office 2016 from Office 365 is installing something which makes the OneDrive installer think Office 2013 is installed??

Friday, February 24, 2017 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, confirm if there are any Office 2013 applications, Visio 2013 or other standalone version applications installed on this computer.

Also open Word application, go to File > Account > About Word, make sure your version is Word 2016 (16.0) instead of 2013 version. If the Office 2013 is still available, please refer to the following article to uninstall it:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-2016-Office-2013-or-Office-365-from-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8

You can also try to manually remove the registry key listed in the following article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manually-uninstall-Office-2013-or-Office-365-1d1110d5-75a4-4154-969e-4260ff29b232

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Thanks Winnie - I am quite sure I have already used that uninstall tool, but did not try any registry edits. I am awaiting access to client's network next week so will update when I can.
    Friday, March 3, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Thanks Winnie - I am quite sure I have already used that uninstall tool, but did not try any registry edits. I am awaiting access to client's network next week so will update when I can.

If there is any updates in your side, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 6, 2017 7:19 AM
  • I have a client where we are setting up Sharepoint Online Sync, but everytime we run into the following error when installing OneDrive for Business 2016 as they are using Office 2016 installed from Office 365 Business.

My thoughts is that there is either an Office 2013 registry key or file which is there from when Office 2013 may of been on this computer. Maybe the Office 2016 from Office 365 is installing something which makes the OneDrive installer think Office 2013 is installed??

Isn't the OD sync client (NGSC) already included in the Office2016 C2R installation?

Maybe... the ODfB client, isn't needed at all, and, maybe... the install-time check is actually trying to say (very poorly) "you don't need this" ?

(the latest version of NGSC can now sync team-sites from SPO)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Monday, March 6, 2017 7:48 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Winnie,

I'm getting the exact same issue as the original post.  This system never had any Office products installed prior to the 365 install.  However, I went thru the manual steps to remove Office 2013 anyway.  There were some folders & reg keys removed, but not every one mentioned in the how-to. 

Following the manual procedure, and a reboot, I get the exact same thing as before.

Any more ideas?

-Bill

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Hey Bill - for what it is worth, I was not able to resolve this and re-imaged. The owner/user of machine did own up to installing a few different versions of Office trying to get it to work before handing it over to me.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:50 PM
  • ok, thanks rbd.  This machine is mine and I just reloaded the OS 2 months ago due to an unrelated issue with intuit/quickbooks so I know it had no prior versions of office as I use openoffice.  Ugh.
    Friday, August 11, 2017 11:22 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem on a brand new HP laptop.  Came with Windows 10 and has only had Office 365 apps installed.  SharePoint wont sync using the 2013 version of ODfB, but I cant install the 2016 version because the installer says Office 2013 is installed.

I just looked in regedit and there are keys for Office 15 (which I think is Office 2013).

I'm about to have a stiff drink and then try removing these (based on the article referred to above)...

I'll let you know how I get on. 

• Edited by scm_101 Monday, August 14, 2017 6:12 PM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 6:04 PM
  • I tried deleting the registry keys... still didn't work

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the fact that I installed Office from a home/personal 365 subscription, but business apps (Skype, ODfB etc.) from a Business 365 subscription of the client I'm working with.

I've been trying to fix this for 4 days and don't have any more time to waste on it. I'll have to pass on sharepoint and use dropbox to share info with client! It shouldn't be this hard!

I bought this brand new laptop and an Office 365 subscription for my work (after using MacOS for years), and am mightily unimpressed that I cant use a core product like SharePoint.  If anyone from Microsoft is reading, you need to get your act together on product interoperability, as my experience so far has been a disgrace.

Monday, August 14, 2017 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem on a brand new HP laptop.  Came with Windows 10 and has only had Office 365 apps installed.  SharePoint wont sync using the 2013 version of ODfB, but I cant install the 2016 version because the installer says Office 2013 is installed.

I just looked in regedit and there are keys for Office 15 (which I think is Office 2013).

I'm about to have a stiff drink and then try removing these (based on the article referred to above)...

I'll let you know how I get on. 

Windows10 ships with OneDrive (NGSC) included by default. This updated sync client is generally suitable as a complete replacement for the older ODfB (groove.exe) sync client (with a couple of exceptions for on-premises SharePoint).

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Transition-from-the-previous-OneDrive-for-Business-sync-client-4100df3a-0c96-464f-b0a8-c20de34da6fa

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, August 14, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Same issue here.  Fresh build of Windows 10, windows update is up to date and Office 2016 installed having had no other version of office installed previously.

Have run the uninstall tool linked above and it flags up that Click-to-run 2016 is installed and fails at that point.

If hacking the registry hasn't worked for anyone else I won't go there.  There is a folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64 with OfficeClikcToRun.exe and IntegratedOffice.exe in there so is this the problem?  Office 2016 Click-to-run is actually Office 2013 Click-to-run?  How do you get rid of that? 

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:04 AM
  • I have found out that this problem is caused because the user account for the Windows 10 login was created using a Microsoft Account login.   This has occurred a few times with new members of my staff.

I created a new user account which despite all the Microsoft Prompts I made unconnected to any Microsoft Account and then was after a bit of fiddling around able to get OneDrive for Business Office 2016 to download and synch.  

Then I was able to add the original user's personal OneDrive account afterwards.   This is absolutely terrible of Microsoft that they can't solve it as it must be affecting lots of people.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Ok, this is truly unbelievable!  I'm running into the same problem.  Company got bought out and we're no longer doing O365 subscription.  No problem, I have my own O365 Home account.  I uninstalled O365 Pro so I can install O365 Home from the MSFT app store.  It's working just fine.

Now, the corporate entity has introduced ODFB on-premise.  My office desktops are running Office 2016 Standard, so I can easily get ODFB to work with the on-premise storage.  But, I cannot get it to work on my laptop.  Same problem here...installation stops because it is reporting Office 2013 is installed.

Can someone look into this and provide, at least, a work-around?  I don't want to mount the SharePoint storage as a regular folder - I want this mounted as a ODFB folder.

Thanks

Mike R.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:21 PM
  • We also had a HP with pre-installed versions of Microsoft Office 2016. We had to fully uninstall all of OneDrive, and Microsoft Office 2016 that was pre-installed, log into the users Office 365 Business Premium account, then re-download all of Microsoft Office 2016, and also OneDrive, and re-install them all. We then were able to get OneDrive business to successfully install and activate with the users Office 365 account. We noticed that there were two OneDrive folders after we got it to work - one appeared to be a local non-business version, and the other looked to be the users proper OneDrive business folder.
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 3:24 AM
  • I am also having this problem on my laptop.   I previously had Office 365 installed (not 100% clear which version) and OneDrive for Business working fine.  I hadn't used it in a few months, and today discovered that I could no longer sync due to a version problem.  I updated Office and as a result, OneDrive was uninstalled and now I get the same error mentioned here.  I've attempted doing a regular uninstall as well as the big "uninstall everything" tool from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-2016-Office-2013-or-Office-365-from-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8 as well as manually installing the regular version of OneDrive and it continues to tell me that I have Office 2013 installed.  Out of ideas of what else to do.

• Edited by Aybara Monday, December 18, 2017 5:08 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 5:07 PM
  • I was able to resolve this issue by uninstalling SharePoint Designer 2013. It is (apparently) part of the Office 2013 family. Only thing that tipped me off what that the icon was the same as Office in the 'classic' version of Programs and Features.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:41 PM
  • I had the same issue. I had no trace of anything with 2013 in my list of installed programs. Here's what I did to resolve it:

1. Uninstalled Office 365 2016.
    2. Rebooted (don't know if it's necessary).
    3. Installed OneDrive for Business 2016. No error message this time.
    4. Installed Office 365.
    • Proposed as answer by Mike JWCS Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:54 PM
    Monday, January 15, 2018 10:03 AM
  • Just been through the complete registry for traces of Office 15 after using the Office removal tool and still got the same error.

After removing Office 365, I can then add OneDrive for Business to the machine without the error, and will add Office 365 Pro Plus next.

Good call...

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:56 PM
  • As SharePoint Admins supporting a 2016 on premise install, how are we supposed to use OneDrive for Business and support my end users SharePoint Designer workflows if I can't install OneDrive with SharePoint Designer 2013.  There is no SharePoint Designer 2016.

I hate to imagine how this is going to impact my users with Project 2013 to learn that they are going to have to either go without OneDrive for Business or spend a truck-load of $$$ for Project 2016 licenses.

Microsoft has REALLY put us in a pickle with this whole "office family version" incompatibilities.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:29 PM
  • I am running OneDrive for Business 2016 client and syncing with SharePoint On-Premises AND running SharePoint Designer 2013. Here's what I did:

OneDrive for Business for Office 2016 Install Instructions

If you’re getting an error when clicking the Sync, and you have Office 2016 installed, try this:

1.       Uninstall OneDrive
    2.       Uninstall any Office 2013 programs or components (ex: Project 2013 and SharePoint Designer 2013)
    3.       Run the following installer for OneDrive for Business for Office 2016

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2903984/how-to-install-onedrive-for-business-for-sharepoint-and-sharepoint-onl

Make sure to scroll down and use the blue Download button from the above link

1.       Re-install any Office 2013 programs 

MCT - MCDBA - MCSD - User Group Leader

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:17 PM
  • Thankyou very much. Following your instructions I could install Onedrive for Business and then installed the rest of Office 365 programs.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:30 PM
  • Thanks Tor for your post, it resolved my issue
    Friday, February 2, 2018 7:58 PM
  • I had the same issue. I had no trace of anything with 2013 in my list of installed programs. Here's what I did to resolve it:

1. Uninstalled Office 365 2016.
    2. Rebooted (don't know if it's necessary).
    3. Installed OneDrive for Business 2016. No error message this time.
    4. Installed Office 365.
    Tor Hovland's solution worked for me. Only some lost time, but no technical headaches apart from having to do this in the first place. Thanks!
    Monday, April 2, 2018 2:37 PM
  • Ran this cmd and found consumer edition of Office 2013 not present in control panel:

cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus

Modified this cmd to remove licensing from the consumer version of Office 2013 to reflect the proper path to the Office 2013\15 install.

cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /unpkey:<LAST 5 CHARACTERS>

Still detecting older version of ODFB (Groove) - anyone able to resolve this other than registry hack?  We have to configure this on several PC's.

Friday, April 13, 2018 11:34 PM
  • I solved this problem by simply deleting Office15 folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root.
    • Proposed as answer by Gustavo____ Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:48 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:41 AM
  • I had previously been running Office 2013, before uninstalling and adding a new Office 2016 licence. I hit this same issue when trying to install the OneDrive for Business app.

The suggestion from AluminumK worked for me - there was an old Office15 folder under c:\program files (x86)\microsoft office\root.  I just renamed the folder and it then installed OK. 

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:55 AM
  • Same here.  Fresh install of windows and office 365 and I get the 2013 error.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:42 PM
  • Thanks, it's worked for me.

Regards,

Yan Grenier

Merci de bien vouloir "Marquer comme réponse", les réponses qui ont répondues à votre question, et de noter les réponses que vous avez trouvé utiles.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:43 AM
  • Deleting \Office15 from \root got me past the initial stop, but as the installer runs over the next 5 minutes, it (or something) puts that folder back, and the error returns. If I catch it in time and delete it while the installer is still running, it completes without the Office 2013 error, but still says the OneDrive for Business 2016 install is unsuccessful. I'll post again if I get around this little curveball.
    Monday, July 16, 2018 7:15 PM
  • Also uninstalled SP Designer, Infopath and OneDrive, clensed Registry and moved away every folder reffering to Office15. 

Outcome is that OneDrive for Business installer now tells me that OneDrive for Business 2016 is not installed..

I hope that MS will turn up with a practical solution in near future ..

Monday, July 30, 2018 1:14 PM
  • Any news? Did someone manage to install OD4B? Same issue here
    Friday, October 19, 2018 1:12 PM
  • We found a workaround to install OD4B:

• Mount the .ISO installer of Office 2013
    • Install Office selecting only OD4B

This will work

Maurizio

Monday, October 29, 2018 7:42 AM
  • I solved this problem by simply deleting Office15 folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root.
    On top of that, I removed all the other folders named "office15" around Program Files and Program Files (x86), and then finally it worked. 
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 1:50 PM