none
DPM 2010 rollup 3 and HP MSL 2024 library split as two HP MSL1012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we are using a MSL 2024 split as two logical MSL 1012 libraries.

The setup is a bit complicated and maybe unsupported :

One MSL 1012 is used on the same server by HP data protector. The second is used by MS DPM and disabled in HP data protector

On DPM, The MSL 1012 used by HP DP is disabled and the other MSL 1012 is enabled.

Problem is, when DPM tries to backup to the library, sometimes DPM crashes (DPM service stopped unexpectedly, corrective action restart service) apears in system log

I looked in Microsoft DPM\DPM\Temp for error/debug logs and it seems that DPM is trying to use the disabled library repeatedly even if there is another library available.

Problem is, sometimes it works and DPM starts using the right library and skips the disabled library.

Could you tell me if there is a way to support this setup or is it preferable to split HP DP and MS DPM in two separate physical servers in order to hide completly the other backup software assigned libraries ?

Thank you for any feedback or analysis. I can provide the logs if required.

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM will only use the library you have configured in each of your protection groups.  However, DPM will try to run inventory jobs for ALL libraries it has ever seen, and even ones that are disabled.  So is the console crashing when library inventory job is running which by default is 9:00AM.

Also, does each library and tape drives inside the split librar have unique serial numbers ?    If this is a SAN attached library, then if no solution can be found, then I would recommend using seperate servers and only exposing  / zoning a single library to one server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 2, 2012 6:00 PM
  • thanks for your input.

Indeed, if iventory runs at the same time of the crash it could be linked. Will check and will trie do disable inventory if possible for tests.

I will try to share the library in a multiple initiator setup but unfortunately the SAS version of MSL2024 does not seems to support it, even if a SAS switch could do the trick. A FC MSL2024 would have been better.

thanks again

Friday, July 6, 2012 2:50 PM