Problems with repair after fitting new motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have replaced motherboard in a customers computer and run repair install so they dont lose any user accounts, data etc but have run into a problem. The computer boots to the user accounts login screen but when you click on the user account a message comes up saying activation must take place before PC can be used it then goes to a blue desktop screen without any icons, the HD light flickers occasionally i get a MS Feeds Syncronization error pop up every 5 minutes but nothing happens it just sits there. I even put a realtek 8139 card in as XP has the drivers.

I have read possibly every post and tried deleting ie7 and 8 folders including hidden update folders as suggested by quite a few forums but no joy, I was up all lastnight trying everthing. I need some urgent help as customer wants their computer back ASAP. 

Eddie

Eddie
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I know I need to reactivate XP but as I said before AFTER repairing the XP installation and logging in it was hanging.... But this morning whilst waking up after losing thursday night sleep it suddenly hit me, the COA is windows XP Home (NO SERVICE PACKS)c so I dug out my XP Home disk run the repair install and BINGO it's worked.

I really can't believe the answer was staring me right in the face.. oh well learn something new everyday as they say.

Regards

Eddie

:)

Eddie
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:52 AM

All replies

• Repair the windows XP installation.

You need to re-activate windows XP because the hardware has been changed. Here is some info on it - http://www.technibble.com/windows-xp-activation-explained/

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

I know I need to reactivate XP but as I said before AFTER repairing the XP installation and logging in it was hanging.... But this morning whilst waking up after losing thursday night sleep it suddenly hit me, the COA is windows XP Home (NO SERVICE PACKS)c so I dug out my XP Home disk run the repair install and BINGO it's worked.

I really can't believe the answer was staring me right in the face.. oh well learn something new everyday as they say.

Regards

Eddie

:)

Eddie
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:52 AM