SSRS Report vs Reports in Data View Web Part in Sharepoint Designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I dd basic reports with Data View Web Part in Sharepoi nt Designer. However, Now, i saw SSRS report also which seems to be same. Can any one tell me difference ?

Thanks, Chintan
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:48 AM

All replies

• Here's some good help on SP Designer 2007:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/demos-a-six-part-series-on-getting-the-most-out-of-sharepoint-designer-2007-HA010219984.aspx

OTB, SPD is very simple in getting a dataview going by simply creating the Dataconnection, however, the view is very static and not very customizable.

IF you have a DBA that can help you SSRS, these are much more powerful, robust solutions that can query data much faster and you can change views and so on.

Brandon James SharePoint Developer/Administrator
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Hello Chintan,

I assume you are referring to the Report Viewer web part for SSRS.  This web part is designed to connect to SQL Reporting Services and display SSRS reports on a SharePoint page.  This web part is not installed in SharePoint by default - it is installed when you install SSRS on the SharePoint server.

The Data View web part is installed with SharePoint by default and allows you to connect to any of the following types of data sources:

·         SharePoint Lists

·         SharePoint Libraries

·         Databases

·         XML Files

·         Server-side Scripts

·         XML Web Services

·         Business Data Catalogs

·         Linked Data Sources

The two web parts are similar in that they can both show data from a data source in SharePoint, however the main difference is that the Report Viewer is meant to be used with SSRS reports, while the Data View web part is meant to be used as a stand-alone data view.  Another difference is that the view in a Data View web part is designed in SharePoint Designer, while the view (report) for the Report Viewer is designed in SQL Report Designer.  SSRS is typically more powerful than the Data View web part, so if you have SSRS available and you need the additional features it's better to use that.  If you don’t have SSRS available and/or you don't need the additional features that SSRS offers, you can use the Data View web part.  It really comes down to what you have available and what your requirements are.

You can find more information regarding SSRS and its features here:  http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/solutions-technologies/business-intelligence/reporting-services.aspx

Thanks!!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:17 PM