none
Upgrade from 1511 to 1703 - 10 days later everything corrupt

Question

• Unable to reset with or without files , unable to recover to previous version...

Slaving the drive, it states there are errors on the system drive and will repair, but doesn't seem to work at all... a secondary drive on the system contains an out-of-date back up and image, but windows doesn't know it's there... drive c contains the directory windows.old, but windows doesn't know it's there.

I have now transferred the windows.old directory to another hard drive... with the thought of finding a way to utilize the data on another drive, retaining all, etc.

Have copied a stand alone USB for 1703 upgrade, but it doesn't seem to help... despite resetting the bios to boot priority for the USB drive... it's as if it is still trying to boot from a drive that can not start... "auto repair"... the "diagnostics" 

Is there a method to create a new drive C from the windows.old data???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  :)

Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:16 PM

All replies

• No, we can’t just use the Windows.old folder to recover a complete system partition, this folder is used for recover previous system via built-in Recovery function in 10 days.

For your scenario, what you can do is backup important data and execute a clean install. Fortunately, you transferred the windows.old directory to another hard drive, your data in this folder will not be lost.

Use your bootable USB installation drive to reinstall 1703, in WinPE, you can use DOS commands to check files in C partition, copy required files to other partition, after installation, you can enter system normally.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 2:49 AM