none
Virtual switch

Question

• Hi everyone, i was hoping that someone would be able to answer my questions. I am new to hyper-v so not sure how to corectly set it up. We have two nic cards on dell server. One has static ip assigned to it and i called it management. This one is only for server use. The second one is called migration and is conected to virtual switch. Virtual switch has two VM conected to it. My question is, do i set static IP address to 2nd nic or virtual switch and would i set default gateway on both nics or just on the 1st nic. As well as that would i disable allow management operating system to share this network adapter on virtual switch? Any help would be appreciated.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 9:48 PM

Answers

• vSwitches do not have internet protocol bound to them so no addressing, you only assign addresses to the vEthernet adapter for each VM and the host. Addressing can be either static or DHCP depending on your requirements.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:28 AM

All replies

•   All you need to do is disable allow management... on the switch because you have you own management NIC for the host.

The second NIC called migration does not need any config at all on the host. If you have cleared the checkbox for allow management... you should not be able to configure anything for it. It is only used by the vms.

Bill

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:56 PM
  • Hi Bill, Thank you for your reply. Just to double check, I still need to assign static IP on the virtual switch though, is that right? Also can both management nic and virtual switch have same default getaway assigned to them? Many thanks Milan
    Monday, March 20, 2017 11:43 PM
  • vSwitches do not have internet protocol bound to them so no addressing, you only assign addresses to the vEthernet adapter for each VM and the host. Addressing can be either static or DHCP depending on your requirements.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:28 AM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:02 AM
  • Apologies, Was away for couple of weeks. Thank you for your help guys. We are up and running now.
    Saturday, April 08, 2017 9:58 PM
  • Good to hear, you're welcome.

Saturday, April 08, 2017 10:09 PM