Taskbar Visual Glitch RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes my taskbar lookes the ability to know when my cursor leaves the taskbar.  For example, I point at a running app, and I see the color light up and the preview appear.  Then I move my mouse away and the color effect stays and the preview won't go away.  I click on something on my desktop and the preview disappears, but the color effect is still on the icon acting like I'm pointing at it.

The only way to get it to become responsive again is to end and re-launch the explorer process.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:41 PM

Answers

• SoonerSkeene,

Look for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver (For Windows Vista). It's dated 3/13/09. I followed your link, bottom chipset listed, furthest right hand link (3rd column). Then choose Vista* from the list and you will see it.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:29 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• You are seeing some video device driver problem. You should check for a better driver on the device makers web site.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I'm not convinced it's the video driver (which is the Nvidia Geforce Go 7700 on the Asus G1 computer) with latest drivers.

All the graphics are smooth, fast and responsive, even when this happens.  When it happens, here is the behavior:  point to an icon of a non-running prgram.  Bars on both sides of the icon and the glow under the icon appear.  Move your mouse cursor away, and those stay on screen, and then the name of the program (tooltip) appear, as if you're still hovering over it.  Clicking elsewhere or even letting the taskbar auto-hide won't get it to realize I'm not pointing at that icon anymore.  If the icon was a running program, the special glow color would be stuck under it as well.

Restarting explorer process fixes it for a while, sometimes days or more.  I'm not sure what triggers it to start having this problem.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 12:35 AM
  • SoonerSkeene,

I cannot replicate this issue. I will bet that this is related to your search comment in this thread, and that Mark is somewhat correct. This will be a driver related issue, or you have some program running that is delaying what you do.
    So several questions come to mind...

1. When you say the latest drivers, can we have a version number?
    2. What are the rest of your system specs? There have been other driver issues (intel chipset (matrix) driver was causing delays, new one released).
    3. Is this a clean install or an upgrade?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Sure, it's the Nvidia GeForce Go 7700 (512 MB), Driver Version 7.15.11.7967 from 3/6/2009.

My system is an Asus G1 portable, with an Intel Core 2 CPU (T7200 @ 2.00 GHZ) (Centrino Duo)
    I've got 4 GB of RAM installed (only 2.87 GB usable because I'm running Windows 7 32-bit)

My WEI is a 4.7 with my processor, memory, gaming, and business graphics all scoring 5.0 (the 4.7 comes from my disk transfer rate).  Re-running the assessment gave me a big boost!

When I see this issue happen, it seems like a mouse hot-tracking issue rather than graphics.  I wish there was a way to record it.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:31 PM
  • SoonerSkeene,

There is a new Intel Matrix beta driver for Windows 7 that can be found with a quick search. You might try that out to see if it helps. There are a number of threads in these forums about delays and hangs that were fixed with this driver.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:54 PM
    Answerer
  • I found it on Intels website, but the latest version is from 2007.  I couldn't find any beta drivers on their site (a lot on less-than-repuatble-looking sites though).  Where else could I search?  I have the Mobile Intel® 945PM Express Chipset, which has downloads here (it's the last row of the table) http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-022034.htm.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 4:55 PM
  • SoonerSkeene,

Look for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver (For Windows Vista). It's dated 3/13/09. I followed your link, bottom chipset listed, furthest right hand link (3rd column). Then choose Vista* from the list and you will see it.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:29 AM
    Answerer
  • @dwolters, since Mark's answer seems to always be "You've got driver problem" it's hard to take that man seriously.

Regardless. The taskbar visuals are definitely going berserk. I know exactly what SoonerSkeene is talking about because it's been bugging me as well. On mine when the taskbar forgets to turn the running program "color-light" off I also seem to be missing Thumb Aero Preview (get only T-Tips). I can in fact fix it for running programs but the non-running pinned icon highlighter forgets to un-focus no matter what, provided I move mouse away straight down (my TB's at the top). Moving it out sideways (towards other items there) clears it fine though not the first one if I move over to the Orb.

Here's how I can reproduce the non-clearing color-light running program issue (100% of time). My taskbar is on top; combine when full. I'm using Explorer in this example but any pinned program will do:

Let's make it go wrong:

• Click the pinned Explorer in taskbar and immediately (or at least before it fully starts) move the mouse pointer away
    • Expolrer starts.....
    • Now move mouse onto the TB: Color stays (and in my case at least no Thumb Aero Preview)

Now let's make it right:

• Click the pinned Explorer in taskbar but do not move the mouse pointer
    • Explorer starts, TB flashes color a bit
    • Wait for it to fully start before you move the mouse, give 3-4 secs to be sure: All is good.

To fix the issue:

• "Drag" (not right-click ) any pinned icon away from TB, it will reveal (slide) its jump-list.
    • Click somewhere on Desktop to clear it
    • All's good after that. Until it goes wrong again.

Just for good measure here's another deficiency:

• Have a couple of programs running
    • Hover over the running app in TB to show the Thumb Preview
    • Now move away but go around the tumb so it doesn't disappear when you move mouse away over the desktop
    • Now click inside (or title bar) of another running application: Thumb goes away fine but previously hovered over thumb stays "colored".

There. And that is very unlikely a driver issue.

-LT
    • Edited by Luna Tick Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:11 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Dear Mr. Ferguson,

If you could be so kind and not mark something as an "Answer" when
      1) You are not the one posting the question
    and
      2) It is not an answer at all.

-LT
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Luna,

I believe this thread covers your issue...

Saturday, June 13, 2009 11:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Luna,

I believe this thread covers your issue...

dwolters, yes it does cover an issue which I too suffer from, but that is a different bag o'bones and not what SS or I are talking about in here.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Holy God, I thought I'd never have somebody explain what was going on.  This issue has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with video drivers.  It's not a video driver.  It's not.  I damn you all for insisting that it is, when in fact you cannot even see the issue.

At least you've illuminated how to make it STOP... dragging up to see the jump list does in fact cure it partially.  I notice that after the jumplist drag, the hover effect still gets stuck on non-running program icons, although the color highlight finally leaves the icons of running programs alone.  But then I run a program from the taskbar and suddenly the broken hover is back.

Anybody know if there's an official fix since mid 2009?  It's now a year later and I still see this behavior, and I'm powerless to actually do anything about it. 

Monday, May 17, 2010 11:23 PM
  • I agree. This problem is not a driver related. I am experiencing this problem on both my laptop with [crappy] intel graphics and my desktop with nvidia graphics. Laptop chipset is from intel, desktop chipset is from nvidia. Both computers have up to date drivers for video, chipset, and other devices.

The problem doesn't even look like it could be anything related to drivers or devices. It is clearly a bug, but since it is difficult to describe and most people probably don't notice it if they encounter it, it remains unfixed.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Okay, this is weird, because i have windows 10 and the same exact issue is happening to me
    Monday, February 12, 2018 4:22 PM