none
How to get started with Push Button Reset? RRS feed

• Question

• According to the OEM agreement, we cannot ship systems with Windows 10 unless they are configured with Push Button Reset. Having never implemented this feature, I'm at a loss. I can't find any good guidance on it either. Can someone point me to the right place?

We've got MDT 2013 Update 1 Second Edition and Windows 10 is deploying splendidly. I've worked through the OEM customizations and Push Button Reset is the last hurdle to clear.

• Edited by RMARLEY Friday, September 25, 2015 1:45 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:13 PM

Answers

• Sorry, MDT has some inherent limitations coexisting with PBR. ( I am the author of the MDT ZTIWinRE.wsf script, and I currently work for an OEM making Windows 10 images).

MDT is designed to get IT departments past Audit Mode and OOBE to a working machine. PBR is designed to get the machine just *before* Audit Mode, yet most scripts will be stripped out so MDT won't run.

Best bet is to put *ALL* of your OEM customizations (Drivers/files/registry) into a *.ppkg package, which is the modern way of packaging. IF you have custom desktop applications, then you are in trouble, best to investigate custom PBR recovery scripts.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Sunday, September 27, 2015 11:23 PM
  • We deploy very clean images to 15 or so workstation models. We use MDT because it's somewhat simple, customizable and deploys a neat set of controlled drivers for each model. After deployment, they are shipped to individuals and corporations as the end user.

Understood, MDT works great for IT Style Deployments.

Is there a comparable Microsoft deployment method which will handle the heavy lifting as well as PBR?

I am only aware of WICD which can add drivers and other packages to your image. the OEM group at Microsoft may have other solutions, however I am not aware of what is available.

Am I misinterpreting the requirement for PBR in every Windows 10 we ship?

I do not know the details of what the *specific* PBR requirements for OEM's are.

Lastly, Would it be possible to deploy from MDT as we do now, then execute a script which would update PBR? Or, is that what you recommended above?

Again, it all depends on how many "Desktop" modifications you actually make. If all you are using MDT for is to copy and manage drivers, then it might work just fine. However if you are installing Desktop apps in *.msi packages, then you will have problem.

Or, should I contact our Microsoft rep for assistance?

YES, your Microsoft rep should help out here.

• Marked as answer by RMARLEY Monday, September 28, 2015 4:53 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 4:01 PM

All replies

• Sorry, MDT has some inherent limitations coexisting with PBR. ( I am the author of the MDT ZTIWinRE.wsf script, and I currently work for an OEM making Windows 10 images).

MDT is designed to get IT departments past Audit Mode and OOBE to a working machine. PBR is designed to get the machine just *before* Audit Mode, yet most scripts will be stripped out so MDT won't run.

Best bet is to put *ALL* of your OEM customizations (Drivers/files/registry) into a *.ppkg package, which is the modern way of packaging. IF you have custom desktop applications, then you are in trouble, best to investigate custom PBR recovery scripts.

Sunday, September 27, 2015 11:23 PM
  • Keith, thanks for the reply. That news is, I'm afraid, even worse than I'd expected. If you don't mind, would you answer a couple of related questions?

We deploy very clean images to 15 or so workstation models. We use MDT because it's somewhat simple, customizable and deploys a neat set of controlled drivers for each model. After deployment, they are shipped to individuals and corporations as the end user.

Is there a comparable Microsoft deployment method which will handle the heavy lifting as well as PBR?

Lastly, Would it be possible to deploy from MDT as we do now, then execute a script which would update PBR? Or, is that what you recommended above?

• Edited by RMARLEY Monday, September 28, 2015 3:41 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 3:39 PM
  • We deploy very clean images to 15 or so workstation models. We use MDT because it's somewhat simple, customizable and deploys a neat set of controlled drivers for each model. After deployment, they are shipped to individuals and corporations as the end user.

Understood, MDT works great for IT Style Deployments.

I am only aware of WICD which can add drivers and other packages to your image. the OEM group at Microsoft may have other solutions, however I am not aware of what is available.

I do not know the details of what the *specific* PBR requirements for OEM's are.

Again, it all depends on how many "Desktop" modifications you actually make. If all you are using MDT for is to copy and manage drivers, then it might work just fine. However if you are installing Desktop apps in *.msi packages, then you will have problem.

YES, your Microsoft rep should help out here.

• Marked as answer by RMARLEY Monday, September 28, 2015 4:53 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 4:01 PM
  • Thanks!
    Monday, September 28, 2015 4:53 PM