Vista error: "USB Device Not Recognized" RRS feed

• Question

• After installing Vista x86 32 bit I get the above error message whenever I plug any device into any of my USB ports.

I've tried the obvious things such as updating drivers and manual installs etc but still cannot fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

For your error code, please perform the following instructions to narrow down the problem.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the device and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible).

Hope it works!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:24 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:32 AM

All replies

• The only time I've received the error the device was defective. I verified that by plugging the device into multiple computers (XP and Vista) and the problem followed the device.
    • Marked as answer by bigalogigalo Monday, February 2, 2009 4:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by bigalogigalo Monday, February 2, 2009 4:57 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:35 PM
  • This error concerns all devices I plug in, devices which I know work as I have used them on other computers.

The error isn't the devices,  it's the laptop.....

Something is missing......something isn't communicating somewhere......the usb ports aren't communicating with something and telling them what is plugged in.....

Any suggestions??

Monday, February 2, 2009 5:01 PM
  •  when the error message comes up and you click it it shows that the usb device is unknown in bold.
    when you click the bold 'unknown device', it shows it is hub1 that is defective. I know this because when I plug the usb device into all 3 ports I get... Port_#0001.Hub_#0001 and Port_#0002.Hub_#0001 and Port_#0003.Hub_#0001

I came across this website and tried this as a result.... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817900

still didnt work.

Then I tried this....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953367/en-us

also didnt work

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928631/

also didnt work.......

totally stuck!!!!

I can see that hub1 isnt working, but why????
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Could it be that hub1 is defective?
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:24 PM
  • note that I have the following usb ports...

ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 2.0 EHCI controller
    ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 1.1 EHCI controller
    ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 1.1 EHCI controller

Which run off a ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver

from a AMD Radeon XPress X1100

which has the driver version 8.573.0.0 on 13/01/2009
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:24 PM
  • it was fine before I installed vista......i don't see how it would suddenly stop working......

how would i check??
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:56 PM
  •  

Hello,

For your error code, please perform the following instructions to narrow down the problem.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the device and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible).

Hope it works!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:24 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for your post,

However, step 4: The upper and lower filters in the right panel.......

There isn't anything there which says "upper filter" or "lower filter"

Also, when I do get to installing the new driver, how do I know the latest driver which windows automatically finds, is vista compatible? I wonder if the latest driver that windows has installed is actually vista compatible (causing the error)

thanks again

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:57 AM
  • ok thats done andy,

same error.

what is the next step please?
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:08 AM
  • Hello,

I know that you are unable to find "upper filter" or "lower filter" two keys in the registry tree, so I suspect that you might not install the USB driver on the computer properly. For your current situation, please directly contact the device manufacturer to obtain and install the latest driver.

If the problem still persists, you should repair windows to see whether it works on your problem.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Have a nice day!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Hi There,

I contacted Acer a few days ago and am waiting to hear back from them. I rang them and they wouldnt help me due to my laptop being out of warranty.

I don't think a repair would make a difference as it's a brand new install........surely on a brand new install it doesnt have anything to repair.

Which driver is the error for? Is it the graphics card? motherboard? I might try contacting the manufacturer of the relevant part directly....

thanks again
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:01 PM
  • The USB conroller driver. If it is a desktop, you should contact its motherboard manufacturer; otherwise, contact the laptop manufacturer directly.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Hi Andy,

It's an acer aspire 5101 notebook - out of warranty so acer won't help me.....

any ideas how I get that driver to function? or how to crack it?
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Go to http://usa.asus.com/index.aspx website, search your computer model for the USB driver (Vista compatible); download and install the driver to make the device work.

Monday, February 9, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi there,

Do you Vista SP1?

I just want to make sure.

Thanks
    Ricardo Fuentes A+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:29 PM
  • andy: its acer and they wont help me cos its out of warranty....

yes its sp1 home premium.....

theres gta be something i can do!!
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:09 PM
  • i am having the same problem i have an acer 5100 and i know it's out of warranty. my ports were previously fine and i don't know what happened. i am waiting to hear from acer  i shot them an email today. if you found a solution please post it because i am at a loss. if i remember correctly i think something like this has happened before. i searched around ati's site, acer's site, and microsoft's site and i can not seem to find the solution. if i could just find some updated drivers because mine say they are from 2006 i think i'd be fine.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:27 AM
  • There seems to be a compatability issue with vista and the chipset which recognises the usb ports. Although Vista does not recognise there being an error. I couldnt find a solution and have ended up going back to xp. if you find a solution please post it here as i would rather use vista!
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Sounds like you can fix my problem, too! Sure hope so.

PROBLEM:  I have an IPhone3G that has been upgraded to 4.1.  I am getting an error message when I plug my IPhone into my Dell Studio 1735 (wireless) laptop computer: "USB device is not recognized."

I recently had a new hard drive installed (2nd time), and had to reinstall a driver for my printer.  So, I'm guessing I need to reinstall a driver for my IPhone.  

2ND PROBLEM:  My battery is not staying powered for more than 6 hours.  I double-clicked the square at the bottom and deleted all of the programs that are in "running mode" but it didn't help.   Apple suggested that I "restore" my battery, but before I can do that I want to create a back-up file for my photo files.  Here is where I end up back at my 1st Problem.   My "USB device problem" prevents me from creating a back-up files for my photo files.  

I was told to install the latest I-Tune, which I had already done. 

I've tried to download drivers, but I  get error messages that it had to stop.  No reason given.  Maybe I'm not downloading the right one. 

Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:49 PM
  • There is no "Scan for hardware changes" under Device Manager.  But that is probably just a spurious idiosyncrasy of my edition.

So my problems remain, as has been the case since Microsoft sold us Vista knowing that it was faulty.  In any other industry where the fraudulent supplier was not financially bigger than the temptation levels of any US judge, they would have been sued into liquidation. 

Then MS dumped Windows 7 on us under the ruse that it was to supersede the faulty Vista, when all it was was another empty shell conning us out of yet another lifetime licence fee under the same fraudulent misrepresentation.

Still, it is our fault for being mugs.  So, we are stuck with the this fraud of a system, where almost every Vista user on the planet has this problem, so we have to solve it! 

All your commendable efforts to help us individually here (I am well aware that marketing sleight of hand is not your individual fault(s) ) are simply firing a cap-gun at a tank battalion.  This is part of a universal problem that was mis-sold to us, therefore any solution, just one, has to accordingly be "universal"!

To summarise my sample case>>>>> 

Windows Vista has been programmed to not recognize USB devices, labelling them faulty when they are 100% effective.  Whether this is deliberate or simply negligent, the result is the same. It has to be solved.

In my case this applies to ALL USB mass-storage devices and ALL mobile phones, from iPhones through Android units to simple SonyEricsson W890is.  It also applies to the DVD drive !!!!!

But ***IMPORTANT***

- it happens NOT indefinitely but, say, about 90-95% of the time.  So the 5-10% proves the devices are not faulty and that it is the O/S.  But which element? 

I have noticed that the complainants who write here are largely those who also write complaining about "Windows Explorer crashing".   Well, whingers will be whingers, whilst the majority out here are what Microsoft love .......gullible mugs who will accept whatever rubbish MS throw at them under the misrepresentation of "operating system" as long as it has pretty colours. 

So we will for the sake of argument assume the complainants do represent the whole graph of Vista users.

The fact is this >>>>> 

One of the governing reasons that USB devices are not recognised is the same as the reason the O/S does not recognize folders; ..........i.e. that WINDOWS EXPLORER IS THE CULPRIT. 

So can we please forget all these sidelines that do not solve the overall problem but just tackle spurious individual scenarii?  Tinkering with the Registry only causes other problems.  The Registry is not a library of disassociated codes. it is a matrix.  If you start changing one, you may have to change hundreds more! 

Simply, it is not a driver issue!  It is an O/S issue!  Because the O/S will not recognize drivers, much as it will most of the time not recognize devices, folders or data files.

Can one of you technicians please advise how to stop Windows Explorer crashing (Windows explorer has stopped working) If Windows Explorer need repairing, then tackle that head-on.  Or send us a new corrected system update.  Just save time!!!!!  

I am certain that Explorer will then recognize working third-party devices such as phones, storage pens and DVD drives 100% of the time?  Because they are part of the same problem!

This suggestion is only in compliance with the lifetime Licence for which we have all paid, therefore it is a reasonable request! 

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:44 AM