WSUS client checks for updates and never finds any?!? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am temping for an organisation that has a hyper-v cluster on server 2008r2 data center, with one VM which is used as a base template of all client VMs in that particular site. The problem is that this client (which is on Windows 7 x64) should be updated regularly, and it does not. Update should be applied by a Wsus server which is integrated on to a SCCM 2012 server. I have reinstalled the ccm agent through SCCM successfully, and in the SCCM console it shows 'client activity' as active. However, in the WSUS console it is a different story saying 'not yet reported'. I am puzzled why this is the case, as I have deleted it from wsus and after I reinstalled the agent and hit 'wuauclt /detectnow', it pops back in the WSUS console. I do not see the logic of it registering itself with WSUS, but not 'reporting' anything. In the status bar of this client it, the only updates listed are 'unknown updates' which are currently at 10079!. If you run windows updates it finds none, and it says that its last update was never. However, if you look in the history it is picking up Endpoint updates, though apparently nothing else. I have done the basic WSUS troubleshooting, including the automated MS repair fix, the resetauthorization switch, restarting the services (and the VM itself), trying to update direct from Microsoft ( I get code 80244018 Windows Update encountered an unknown error), running the Windows update installer as per here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058) – it fails with an ‘unrecoverable error’, and recreating the ‘softwaredistribution’ update cache. Nothing works, and it is important that this gets fixed as this vm is used as a template from which other VM clients are rolled out.

Would much appreciate any advice on resolving this.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:16 AM