Manage Outlook.com Calendar/Contacts from Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have the office suite installed on my desktop system (Win 10 Pro x64 v1703).

I also have, as part of the suite of applications, Outlook (v16.0.8431.2046) x64 with all known updates applied.

What I'd really like to do is have ONE point of entry for everything. Specifically my desktop.

I share the same calendar with my wife's Android phone via Gmail right now.

I have Outlook installed on my Android, though I'll be installing it on my wife's phone as soon as I can figure this out and get it to work.

When I say everything, I mean my contacts, my calendar.

My email is already setup to use my OUTLOOK.COM account, so I can receive and send email from my Desktop email through my online Outlook account.

Naturally, no direct updates are possible for contacts and calendar in my desktop OUTLOOK, though I can send/receive email via gmail from there.

The real issue is to setup an automatic update to my on-line OUTLOOK.COM account for both my Calendar and my Contacts from a single management point - my Desktop Outlook application.

How do I do this?

I don't think I have to buy an interface application, do I? I already subscribe to MS Office Suite (with every pro app included.)

Is it even possible manage my OUTLOOK.COM contacts and calendar from my desktop Outlook application?

I'm tired of having to maintain Gmail Calendar, Gmail Contacts so they are visible from both my Android devices. I'd like a single point of entry (Android Outlook) for both me and my wife, while I manage our common Contact and Calendar from a single point.

Oh, she can handle her own calendar and contacts

Jim - Mastiffs are the greatest!

• Moved by Steve Fan Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:06 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

From the description, you mean that you want to view and manage you Outlook.com contacts directly in your desktop Outlook application, am I correct?

If this is the case, you can try set up your Outlook.com account as an Exchange account in your Outlook. In this way, all your calendar items and contacts will be synced to the server. To do this, please first make a back up copy of your calendar items and contact items via exporting them to local PST file. See Export or backup email, contacts, and calendar to an Outlook .pst file for detailed steps.

After that, remove the Outlook.com account from your Outlook, and then add it back as an Exchange account via Auto Account Setup wizard.

Hope this helps. If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jim.Low Friday, October 13, 2017 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

From the description, you mean that you want to view and manage you Outlook.com contacts directly in your desktop Outlook application, am I correct?

If this is the case, you can try set up your Outlook.com account as an Exchange account in your Outlook. In this way, all your calendar items and contacts will be synced to the server. To do this, please first make a back up copy of your calendar items and contact items via exporting them to local PST file. See Export or backup email, contacts, and calendar to an Outlook .pst file for detailed steps.

After that, remove the Outlook.com account from your Outlook, and then add it back as an Exchange account via Auto Account Setup wizard.

Hope this helps. If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jim.Low Friday, October 13, 2017 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:40 AM
  • This is the answer!!!

Thank you!!

I've tested the Calendar function with my Outlook on my desktop - works w/o issue.

I've tested the Contacts function with my Outlook on my desktop - works w/o issue.

As to contacts, I know I'll have to flush my Outlook Contact book connected to my Exchange account, then import my GMail Contact list to my desktop Outlook, and let the Exchange connection sync the two. While meticulous in nature, with a bit of time required to complete and update where needed, this was a known component of the transfer effort.

When originally setup, my MS email had to use the POP3 approach. Now as my wife and I become more sync'd regarding the Calendar and Contact info, this is perfect (90% of my stuff is via my desktop, 99% of my wife's stuff is done via her Android phone.)

So, this is perfect.

What is NOT known, is proper licensing for the use of my Exchange capability on my Wife's smart phone.

I know the application download is free, but it requires a phone number for the setup process.

While the actual email/calendar/contact account is mine, it is also shared between my wife and I. Primarily because she has difficulty due to her handicap. Can this same account have more than one phone number attached to it? In doing so, it would sync both Android devices too?

This part I don't know/haven't tested for fear that it would override my current settings?

Please let me know.

This is the final hold up to sync'ng everything through one portal (so to speak.)

Jim

Jim - Mastiffs are the greatest!

Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:06 PM