none
PWA 2010 - Project Manager Security RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We just set up Project Server 2010, It all works pretty well. Our Programme manager would like the Projects Managers to veiw the entire Porfolio, Open each other projects etc. easy enough!!

But we would only like the Project managers to edit there own projects and not be able to edit other Project Managers projects.

Whilst still being able to view the entire portfolio is there a way please help me I have spent ages trying to work this out.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:34 AM

Answers

• Guys thanks for all of the help,

I have finally got there, Fairly simple as you have explained But I needed to add check a couple more boxes.

Amit's suggestion works to the point where you can see all of the projects in the Project Summary. But you can not open them in read only.

To enable this I had to as in Amit's first step edit My Projects Category, In the project section unchecking evything except 'The User is the Project Owner....'

Then I edited the Project managers Group.

Ensured 'My Projects' My Organisation and My Tasks were selected Categories. (Not sure why my tasks but it works with and without)

On the permissions for My Org I had to set Allow for Open Project, View Project Summary and View project schedule. Without the later one I was unable to open projects in read only that the PM was not assigned to.

Thanks for all of you help, your knowledge has put me in the right direction.

To add to this I wanted to have a different view for Team Leaders. In our organisation we want team leaders to use Project Server for there non BAU work. Like hardware replacment programmes etc. So we need them to be able to create projects for planned work.

Also we wanted the team leaders to view any projects where a resource is assigned to another project that sits beneath them in the RBS table ie a team member the Teamleader manages. But we did not want the team leaders to view all projects.

Using the advise above.

I created another Category called Team Lead and selected the two following Project Permissions

'The User is the Project Owner...' and 'A resource on ....... is a Descendant of the user via RBS'

(Ensure you add views to the category. (I treated this new category the same as the My Org Category)

After this i went to the team leads group ensured My Project, My Task and Team Lead Categories were selected. I then set the same settings I Used above for My Org.

And what do you know That worked as well.

So now our PM's can view the entire programme without Damages other projects

and our team leaders can view all projects which are relevant to their team but they can only edit the project they create.

Brilliant thanks again all.

• Marked as answer by MPRJ Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:29 AM

All replies

• HI there--

Please see below article:
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/Read-OnlyAccessForPMTeamMembers.aspx

Similar thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/012153c4-da06-4011-b337-2ac8138b1294

Hope that helps.

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”. Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Hi thanks for the Advise,

I have already tried this route thank you, This option only allows the PM to view projects when he/she is either the owner, status manager or a project where he is a team member.

I need the PM's to have read only access to all projects, I think ball is dropping as I write this.

Maybe the only way to acheive this is to make all PM's team members of all projects.

Seems a bit awkward though.

The thoughts behind the request is to ensure PM's understand the entire programme of work and not just the projects they are responsable for. Whilst ensuring they can not indirectly edit other PM's Projects.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

Very simple.

Go to each project, in the Project Permissions page, allow all to view (keep the below boxes "unchecked")

Edit and Save the project within Project Professional or Project Web App

Edit Project Summary Fields within Project Professional or Project Web App

Publish the project within Project Professional or Project Web App

Note: Don't forget to check these boxes ONLY for the respective PM.

Regards,

Project Master2012

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:42 PM
  • After following Amit's suggestion to remove the PM ability to edit schedules where they are a team member you can then:

This assumes your My organization category still has the default settings of allowing access to all current and future projects.

• Open the Project manager group in Manage groups
      • In the categories list pick my organization and add it to the list box on the right
      • In the grid that shows up below select the Open Project permission and the 'view project summary in project center'

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

• Unmarked as answer by MPRJ Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:29 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Guys thanks for all of the help,

I have finally got there, Fairly simple as you have explained But I needed to add check a couple more boxes.

Amit's suggestion works to the point where you can see all of the projects in the Project Summary. But you can not open them in read only.

To enable this I had to as in Amit's first step edit My Projects Category, In the project section unchecking evything except 'The User is the Project Owner....'

Then I edited the Project managers Group.

Ensured 'My Projects' My Organisation and My Tasks were selected Categories. (Not sure why my tasks but it works with and without)

On the permissions for My Org I had to set Allow for Open Project, View Project Summary and View project schedule. Without the later one I was unable to open projects in read only that the PM was not assigned to.

Thanks for all of you help, your knowledge has put me in the right direction.

To add to this I wanted to have a different view for Team Leaders. In our organisation we want team leaders to use Project Server for there non BAU work. Like hardware replacment programmes etc. So we need them to be able to create projects for planned work.

Also we wanted the team leaders to view any projects where a resource is assigned to another project that sits beneath them in the RBS table ie a team member the Teamleader manages. But we did not want the team leaders to view all projects.

Using the advise above.

I created another Category called Team Lead and selected the two following Project Permissions

'The User is the Project Owner...' and 'A resource on ....... is a Descendant of the user via RBS'

(Ensure you add views to the category. (I treated this new category the same as the My Org Category)

After this i went to the team leads group ensured My Project, My Task and Team Lead Categories were selected. I then set the same settings I Used above for My Org.

And what do you know That worked as well.

So now our PM's can view the entire programme without Damages other projects

and our team leaders can view all projects which are relevant to their team but they can only edit the project they create.

Brilliant thanks again all.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:29 AM