Shortcut for snipping SnippingTool.exe RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

Is there any way to assign keyboard shortcut to a specific Windows program, say, snipping tools?

This article showed an example of setting the shortcut key combination. Unfortunately, the shortcut is prefixed by Ctrl+Alt, so the whole is like “Ctrl+Alt+S”, which is very inconvenient to use for a combination of three.

I have the following questions:

1.       1. Does there exist any registry entry for giving it a shorter shortcut key?

2.       2. Can I have a further convenience that upon starting the snipping tool, the “New” button is automatically selected (pressed), so that I can directly drag my mouse on the screen to clip an area? Please see this screenshot for illustration.

Thanks,

Bob

Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:19 AM

Answers

• However, if you pin the Snipping Tool to your Taskbar, it takes on an automatic shortcut which is determined by the position of the icon.  For example, I have pinned Snipping Tool to my Taskbar, and it sits in the 2nd slot (so my Taskbar from left-to-right shows the Start Button, then Notepad, then Snipping Tool).

Because it is in the 2nd slot, I can type Windows-2 to instantly launch the program, which is far more convenient than Ctrl-Alt-Something.

This type of shortcut works for Taskbar icon positions 1 through 10 (the number 0 is used for the 10th position).

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, December 3, 2010 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

The Ctrl + Alt is a default combination, it’s by design. You can replace it by Number key as well. If you really want to change the default combination, third-party program is needed, which we don’t recommend.

Meanwhile, I will report your feedback to Microsoft Feedback Team to let them know it.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, December 3, 2010 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

The Ctrl + Alt is a default combination, it’s by design. You can replace it by Number key as well. If you really want to change the default combination, third-party program is needed, which we don’t recommend.

Meanwhile, I will report your feedback to Microsoft Feedback Team to let them know it.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, December 3, 2010 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:26 AM
  • However, if you pin the Snipping Tool to your Taskbar, it takes on an automatic shortcut which is determined by the position of the icon.  For example, I have pinned Snipping Tool to my Taskbar, and it sits in the 2nd slot (so my Taskbar from left-to-right shows the Start Button, then Notepad, then Snipping Tool).

Because it is in the 2nd slot, I can type Windows-2 to instantly launch the program, which is far more convenient than Ctrl-Alt-Something.

This type of shortcut works for Taskbar icon positions 1 through 10 (the number 0 is used for the 10th position).

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, December 3, 2010 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Dear Shawn,

Sorry for my delayed reply. This works, great answer.

Bob

Friday, December 3, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Dear Miya,

Thanks for the information.

Bob

Friday, December 3, 2010 7:10 PM