App-V User File Saves RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys

I'm relatively new to App-V and im currently having a problem with a few piece of software that require users to write data to a location. One of the pieces of software is called Numeracy Bank 3 by Sherston and when installed generates a .ini file that details the save path for users as C:\Program Files (x86)\Sherston Software\Numeracy Bank Year 3\saves\ . When you first launch the application it asks you to create a username which then gets saved to the previously mentioned location but my problem is that when you virtualize the software the C: changes to a Q: in the file path and my users cant save there hence are not able to create a user name or save their progress.

What is the best way to deal with this issue? What can i change my file path too in my ini file so that users can save outside of the bubble on the local machine.

Thanks

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:07 PM

Answers

• Your best option would be to configure the application to save these files outside of the virtual environment (e.g. home drive location instead). This will ensure that the user data is always separate from the virtual environment. If the user data is stored in the virtual environment, there is potential for data loss.

If you are unable to redirect the user data out of the virtual environment, then disable Security Descriptors in the package - that should allow the writes to succeed.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 8, 2012 1:09 PM

All replies

• Your best option would be to configure the application to save these files outside of the virtual environment (e.g. home drive location instead). This will ensure that the user data is always separate from the virtual environment. If the user data is stored in the virtual environment, there is potential for data loss.

If you are unable to redirect the user data out of the virtual environment, then disable Security Descriptors in the package - that should allow the writes to succeed.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 8, 2012 1:09 PM
  • When you sequence such an application, one that needs to write into the Program Files area, we need to consider user rights that are needed to do so.

Often, the quickest solution is that while sequencing, you uncheck the "Enable Security Descriptors" checkbox on the Deployment tab of the "Sequence Editor" (that multi-tabbed interface you get to at the end of sequencing.  This effectivly makes all files in the package writable so that the user can write to that location, in spite of any lockdown policies.

Microsoft cautions that you should change ACLs of any files that need to be writable (while in monitoring mode of the sequencer after the App install) instead of using this checkbox, but most of us find this to be too much work (and any changes go into the user PKG so potential damage is limited) and just use the checkbox.

Also note that if you installed the app to C:\Program Files... while sequencing, the user can still reference the ini file as C:\Program Files... even though the remapping into the Q: VFS area occurs.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Saturday, June 9, 2012 3:10 PM