Can't connect to Power Query via Power Pivot anymore. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have been working for a while with a file with some Power Queries that I have the used the connections in Power Pivot. I have only made a connection in Power Query (not loaded to Data Model and I don't want to use Load to Data Model because when I have done it in the past, I always have to go first to the Power Query, choose Privacy Leval Orginsational and then go to PowerPivot when I want to refreash the data. When I only create a connection, I don't have to go to Power Query first).

This morning I got following error message in  PowerPivot: The connection you're trying to open was created with Power Query.To change this connection, use Power Query.

The last week I have been able to connect via PowerPivot to my connections without any problem but suddendly I can't connect anymore. If I create a new Power Query and only create a connection and try to connect to it in PowerPivot I get the same error. Have you any idea what happened? Is it not possible anymore to just create a connection, do you have to just Load to Data?

Best regards,

Maria

Friday, October 14, 2016 7:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Maria,

The problem is that if you edit this connection from the Power Pivot window (e.g., just rename a column), this connection becomes read only and you cannot change it anymore from Power Query. We got a lot of customers complaining on this behaviour and we decided to address this. Hence, we have deliberately disabled editing of the connection from the Power Pivot window in case this connection was initially created via Power Query. 

If you want to delete a column, rename a column, change column type, delete a table, rename a table or alter the SQL statement for the connection that was initially created via Power Query - you will need to go back to the Power Query window and change your connection from there.

Guy

- Excel Team

Guy Hunkin

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:05 AM