Linksys WMP54G v4 PCI Card on Vista RC1 x64 HOWTO RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed a lot of posts regarding the lack of Vista-compatible Linksys wireless card drivers but no posted solutions of this nature. Here's how I did it:

1) Go to http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm and download the driver package named "RT61+RT2500" (notice in the "OS" section for this download it includes "x64" support; this is important!)
    2) Run the install file (the filename is like 40 feet long) and then reboot (NOTE: on the first screen I chose "Optimize for WiFi mode".  I have no idea if this matters.)

* If a "Found New Hardware" window pops up at this point just close it. We're doing this the old-fashioned way.

3) Go to "Control Panel" -> "Hardware and Sound" -> "Device Manager"
    4) Under "Other Devices" you should see an item named "Network Controller"; right click on it and select "Update Driver Software..."
    5) Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
    6) Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

* If you see "2L (Conceptronic)" in the left-hand list then skip to step #9

7) Click "Have Disk" and browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\RALINK\RT6x Wireless LAN Card\Installer\WINX64"
    8) Select the file named "Rt2500"
    9) In the left-hand list select "2L (Conceptronic)"; in the right-hand list select "Conceptronic 54g Wireless PCI Card Version 3.2.0.0 [6/1/2006]"
    10) Click yes when asked if you're sure you want to install these drivers
    11) Enjoy wireless

P.S. I just followed these steps to successfully install the drivers on Vista RC1 x86 with one small change: use "WINXP" instead of "WINX64" in step #7
    Tuesday, November 7, 2006 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi there

I tried this exactly and my system freezes every time, I have to manually reboot in safe mode to remove the install.

So far vista is an enormous disappointment with respect to ease of installation. 
    Sunday, November 19, 2006 8:42 PM
  • I also did this, but the link is broken.
    Friday, December 8, 2006 5:41 AM
  • I'm using this solution to try to make a Linksys WMP54GR wireless-g pci adapter function on my Windows XP Pro x64 machine.  Upon completing Step #10, above, I receive the error: "Cannot Start this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Conceptronic 54g Wireless PCI Card.  This device cannot start. (Code 10)"  I am, then, re-directed to the Windows troubleshooter. 

Any suggestions? 

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:29 AM
  • Thank you Soy.  I have been searching everywhere and you were the first one to provider the solution.

Great job and appreciate your help very much.

Kamran

Monday, December 25, 2006 12:02 AM
  •  bbm2103 wrote:

I'm using this solution to try to make a Linksys WMP54GR wireless-g pci adapter function on my Windows XP Pro x64 machine.  Upon completing Step #10, above, I receive the error: "Cannot Start this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Conceptronic 54g Wireless PCI Card.  This device cannot start. (Code 10)"  I am, then, re-directed to the Windows troubleshooter. 

Any suggestions? 

I seem to be having the same problem after installing RC1 this evening (now morning?) and it's been entirely too frustrating trying to get an answer from ANYONE regarding this problem.

Are there any people out there that might have an answer for me here? I'd hate to have to go back to XP until Linksys manages to put out some drivers for their products, but it's not looking good here.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:26 AM
  •  

I use,d everything on the list just adapted it for my 64XP pro OS and it worked great.

First got rid of the linksys files ran the ralink file rebooted went to hardware and chose the unused

card. Useing the wizard in advanced selected the file in his Ralink list and installed.A warning poped up,

saying not recomended.pushed install any way. and have had no problems. speed 54Mbps,

strength excellent. hope this helps others with XP 64 bit pro OS.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:14 PM
  • The link you provide is broken.  Can you update it?

I have been having problems when installing my Linksys WMP54G PCI Adapter.  I finally called up Linksys support (800-326-7114) and got step by step help from them.

This is what needs to be done:

Go to www.linksys.com/vista

Click on "Download Drivers"

Search for "WMP54G v4.0" (this is the one I have) and click on the 32 bit driver download (64 bit is not yet availiabel, if you have windows vista 64 bit, Linksys will tell you that they don't have a release for the compatible drivers yet and to call Microsoft and have them recommend you a wireless adapter)

Download and save the drivers and you will have to UnZip the file

Go to your computer, click on START and click on Control Panel, then search for the Systems icon.  Once you open the Systems icon, on the left hand side click on Device Manager.

Scroll down to Networks, click on the + sign, (if you have installed the software already you should have a plus sign and you should see Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter)

Double click on the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter, then click on the Driver Tab on the top of the window, and click on Update Driver.

Click on the first selection "Search automatically for updated driver software"  Your computer will start the search for the drivers that you recently downloaded and saved on your computer.

Thsi should be it!  If you still have problems call Linksys support, they were very helpful!

Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Haven't had a chance to try the original post's method of installing a working driver for the LinkSys WMP54G v4, but as for the intended link I navigated through their site and found this link to be the best guess at the driver location:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html

Think the appropriate driver is the third one listed as PCI/mPCI/CB(RT256x/RT266x) for versions RT61:2.0.3.0 and RT2500: 3.2.0.0 for OS Vista X86/X64

I hope to try installing this driver on my Vista machine later today, hopefully I can post whether or not I am successful or not.

UPDATE: NOT SUCCESSFUL. Windows Vista was unable to start the device (LinkSys WMP54G V4.0)   www.linksys.com doesn't have a driver for v4, but does have for v4.1 which does not recognize the 4.0 version of the card.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:25 AM
  • I appreciate the input.  I had to use the second driver in the "2L )Conceptronic)" list.  So in my case second time was the charm for my 64 bit system.  Thank you as I have been fighting this for months.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:47 AM
  • This worked amazing, thanks so much!!!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:18 PM
  • This is where you get the install file...the link listed in the main post is broken.
    http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html
    Look for the link that has RT2500
    I needed this for vista...no reboot was required.
    I did end up using the Conceptrinic.
    Came up right away.
    I appreciate your efforts.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:28 PM
  • The link listed in the main post is broken the new one is: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1 then choose RT2500
    I thank you so much because it worked smoothly after following the steps.... For many days I've tried similar fixes with no results.
    I have a wmp54g V4 and Windows7 x64.
    Cheers
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Okay, I spent the better part of half a day and got the WMP54G working under Windows 7 64 bit. Why Linksys/Cisco won't update their drivers is beyond me as they are readily available from the OEM Ralink (available since August!!).

I have v4.1 of the card which uses the RT256x chipset. If you have another version of the card, you may have to search to find out what version of Ralink's chipset it is using or do a little try and die until you get it. Here' is the link to the Ralink support page with all the drivers:

Ralink Corp.

1. From the link given above, find your chipset (under part number column) and then click to download. In the case of my v4.1, it is the one listed as PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x). As stated before, do a Google to find your chipset (no identifiers on the card ). Obviously throw on a flash drive if you are downloading from another computer .
    2. The download is an installer. Run it and make sure to choose the option to JUST INSTALL THE DRIVERS.
    3. Now go into the Device Manager and find the Network Card (should be flagged under Network Adapters since the driver hasn't been found yet by Windows). If you don't have the network card installed yet, install it then look for it. If you have it installed and you can't find it, you may have already associated it with another driver and it is not working. Find it in the list of devices and uninstall it.
    4. Right click on the Network Card in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software...
    5. Select - Browse My Computer for driver software
    6. Select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    7. Select - Network Adapters if not listed yet
    8. Select - Ralink from the manufacturers on the left (note mine had 2 and it was the first one for me which had the a/b/g drivers the 2nd has the n nic drivers)
    9. Select - 802.11G WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER

Should install and work like a charm. Good luck and I hope I saved you from going out and spending another $40-50 on a comparable wireless pci nic.

- Skinny Pirate (Captain Morgan and Diet Coke )
    • Proposed as answer by kaributas Friday, August 6, 2010 8:30 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Skinny Pirate you rock my world.  Spent hours trying to figure this out.  Stupid linksys STILL hasn't released a win7 driver.  Thanks a ton for your clear instructions.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:43 AM
  • WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Skinny Pirate u are a life saver, thanks for the help. It was great advise. I recommend anyone that has the ver. 4.1 to use the directions. I also used the first one on the right hand side worked perfect the first time. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:29 AM
  • thank you soooo much skinny pirate! you deserve all the rum and coke you want from me!  i followed your advice and used ralink driver for my wireless card and it workes like a charm on win7 for me, just got the wireless card from ebay and thought it was bad, but i realized the drivers from linksys were c r a p !  thanks a whole bunch for taking the time to help us out there in need many blessings to u!

Friday, August 6, 2010 5:28 AM
  • skinnypirate -  genius. Thanks
    Friday, August 6, 2010 8:32 PM
  • This Thread RULES!  Thanks for helping me fix this.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Okay, I spent the better part of half a day and got the WMP54G working under Windows 7 64 bit. Why Linksys/Cisco won't update their drivers is beyond me as they are readily available from the OEM Ralink (available since August!!).

I have v4.1 of the card which uses the RT256x chipset. If you have another version of the card, you may have to search to find out what version of Ralink's chipset it is using or do a little try and die until you get it. Here' is the link to the Ralink support page with all the drivers:

Ralink Corp.

1. From the link given above, find your chipset (under part number column) and then click to download. In the case of my v4.1, it is the one listed as PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x). As stated before, do a Google to find your chipset (no identifiers on the card ). Obviously throw on a flash drive if you are downloading from another computer .
    2. The download is an installer. Run it and make sure to choose the option to JUST INSTALL THE DRIVERS.
    3. Now go into the Device Manager and find the Network Card (should be flagged under Network Adapters since the driver hasn't been found yet by Windows). If you don't have the network card installed yet, install it then look for it. If you have it installed and you can't find it, you may have already associated it with another driver and it is not working. Find it in the list of devices and uninstall it.
    4. Right click on the Network Card in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software...
    5. Select - Browse My Computer for driver software
    6. Select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    7. Select - Network Adapters if not listed yet
    8. Select - Ralink from the manufacturers on the left (note mine had 2 and it was the first one for me which had the a/b/g drivers the 2nd has the n nic drivers)
    9. Select - 802.11G WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER

Should install and work like a charm. Good luck and I hope I saved you from going out and spending another $40-50 on a comparable wireless pci nic.

- Skinny Pirate (Captain Morgan and Diet Coke )
    Thanks man! It just so happened that my card is the same version as yours (ver. 4.1), so I just went ahead and installed the PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x) listed on Ralink Corp's site I found here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1. Thanks again for the information above.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Very, very helpful.  I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and ended up with the WMP54GV4 (that's what's printed on the card) and followed your instructions with a few differences due to the Windows 7 interface.

The link on RALink's website has changed and the one people need is under this product

PCI/mPCI/CB (RT2500)

Once installed, the driver path has changed too, it is now under C:\Program Files (x86)\RALINK\RT6x Wireless LAN Card\Driver, there you can find the RT2500.inf file-- make sure to install the software, and you can even use the RALink Configuration utility.

-Evan

Evan Soenke
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Thanks Evan. Glad you posted that updated URL so soon. I was unable to find it myself.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for this. It saved me a long, painful quest. For those interested, I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7 and the Hardware ID of the card was "PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0201&SUBSYS_00321737".

I'd like to mention that the Ralink website no longer exists since their merger with MediaTek. They still provide the drivers somewhere on their site. Unfortunately, no matter what browser I used, the site sent me an empty (0 kb) file instead of the actual installer. I ended up looking for the filename in a search engine ("IS_AP_STA_2500_D-3.2.0.10_VA-3.2.0.0_RU-2.1.3.0_VA-2.1.3.0_AU-2.0.3.0_VA-2.0.3.0_021209_1.0.1.0_Free.exe") and downloaded it from a third party site (modem-help.co.uk).

• Proposed as answer by Dusty276 Friday, January 23, 2015 4:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dusty276 Friday, January 23, 2015 4:59 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:35 PM

• Its easy enough to find the driver on the mediatek website, just search, have to give name and email and copy the characters correctly to download, i followed the advice above and am goin to try the rt2500 driver, ill post back if it doesnt work out
    Friday, January 23, 2015 5:10 AM