Win 2012 server RD Web access Password Change utility not working for non admin users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All ,

i enabled password change utility in Windows server 2012 R2 server to change password for our end users.

i can change the password with this utility but not any other users , i have all domain admin and local admin access for this server , but my end users just want to change their expired password with this utility but with out any access , is this possible?

When we tried to change any domain user password with this tool am getting below error.

Your password cannot be changed. Please contact your administrator for assistance.

can any domain users change their password with this utility ? without any access to RD Web access server. please advise.

Thanks,

Mani L

Mani L

• Moved by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:39 AM RDS related from RDC forum
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Mani,

It’s a little different on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Firstly, we need to install this hotfix below:

You cannot change an expired user account password in a remote desktop session that connects to a Windows Server 2008 R2-based RD Session Host server in a VDI environment

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2648402

The update adds Password.aspx script which contains password changing logic.

After that, try to change the PasswordChangeEnabled setting as in Windows Server 2012/R2.

If the PasswordChangeEnabled entry is still missing, please add it manually.

For more detailed information, please refer to this article below:

Windows Server 2012 RDS: Enabling the RD WebAccess Expired password reset option

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10755.windows-server-2012-rds-enabling-the-rd-webaccess-expired-password-reset-option.aspx

I have tested it and it worked on my Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise system, and a reboot is required after the update was installed.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, June 20, 2016 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:26 AM

All replies

• can any domain users change their password with this utility ? without any access to RD Web access server. please advise.

Hi,

Users must log onto RD Web Access webpage if they want to use this utility to change password.

If users don’t want to/cannot log onto RD Web Access page to change password, they can change password via a domain-joined system which they can access locally, or via OWA if Exchange is configured properly.  

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Hi , Yes .

All domain users can change their password using this RD Web password change utility , this is really helpful for non remote users to change their expired password.       There is no Access required to the remote machine for change users password using this Utility .

But am having issue in Windows 2008 R2 server , I tried the same options in Windows server 2008 R2 server , I have installed the RD Web access with Web Server IIS features .

I also added the  RD Web Access URL in login.aspx RD Web page .

Password changeable  option is not showing in RD Web Pages application settings option.

I tried to change the Password changeable to True in IIS RD Web Pages application settings , but I don't see the Password changeable option in IIS Pages .   

Is this because of IIS version difference between the Win 2012 server and 2008 R2 server ?   how to fix this issue?   when I tried to click the Password change utility option with Full URL am getting runtime error .

do we have any fix for Win 2008 R2 server ?

Thanks,

Mani L

Mani L

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Hi Mani,

It’s a little different on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Firstly, we need to install this hotfix below:

You cannot change an expired user account password in a remote desktop session that connects to a Windows Server 2008 R2-based RD Session Host server in a VDI environment

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2648402

The update adds Password.aspx script which contains password changing logic.

After that, try to change the PasswordChangeEnabled setting as in Windows Server 2012/R2.

If the PasswordChangeEnabled entry is still missing, please add it manually.

For more detailed information, please refer to this article below:

Windows Server 2012 RDS: Enabling the RD WebAccess Expired password reset option

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10755.windows-server-2012-rds-enabling-the-rd-webaccess-expired-password-reset-option.aspx

I have tested it and it worked on my Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise system, and a reboot is required after the update was installed.

Best Regards,

Amy

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, June 20, 2016 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hi Mani,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Amy

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:59 AM
  • Hi Amy,

I have not tried this option in Windows server 2008 R2 since I have enabled this functions in Windows server 2012 R2 , everything is working fine in Windows 2012 server.

Thanks for checking.

Thanks,

Mani L

Mani L

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:03 AM