Can I activate Windows Vista using Windows Server 2008 KMS Host? RRS feed

• Question

• The situation is that I installed the KMS host on a Windows Server 2008 computer. The KMS Host successfully activated the 10 other Windows Server 2008 computers. Now I want to activate Windows Vista computers using the same KMS host. The KMS host is receiving the requests from Vista clients but isn't activating them. My understanding was that, since the host was installed using the KMS key for Windows Server 2008, that is the reason why it is not activating the Vista computers. But then I stumbled upon this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/ActivationFAQ/default.mspx

One of the questions on the page:
    Q. Can I use my Windows Server 2008 KMS keys to activate Windows Vista client computers?
    A.

Yes. You can use a Windows Server 2008 computer as a KMS host. If you do this, you do not need to set up a host computer by using a Windows Vista KMS key.

Still, I am unable to activate the Vista computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Your current count is 10 - you will need to get to a n-count of 25 or more before Vista VL clients will activate against that KMS host. Only physical instances of Server 2008 or Vista VL will increment the n-count.

Because the count is 5 or greater, the Server instances (both physical and virtual) will activate against this KMS.

How many physical Vista VL (Business/Enterprise only) do you have - and are they in KMS mode or have they been activated with a MAK previously?

Hope this makes sense,

Richard

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:38 PM

All replies

• Yes, a 2008 KMS host can activate Windows Vista KMS client

Its indicated in the VA 2.0 tech guide.

Product Key Group

KMS Key

KMS can be hosted on (KMS key activates KMS host)

Windows product editions activated by this KMS Host

Vista VL

KMS

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Vista

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->KMS for Windows Server 2003 v1.0 or v1.1

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Vista Business

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Vista Enterprise

Server Group A

KMS_A

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Web Server 2008

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->KMS for Windows Server 2003 v1.1

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Vista VL

Server Group B

KMS_B

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 Standard

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->KMS for Windows Server 2003 v1.1

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Server Group A

Server Group C

KMS_C

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 Datacenter

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 Datacenter

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Server Group B

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Server Group A

Monday, October 27, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but please read my entire post.

Regards
    Monday, October 27, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Sorry but the FAQ is in contradiction with the doc and my own experience

You don't need another KMS host for Vista ciomputer
    You just need a KMS_A/B/C to active 2008 AND Vista!
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:15 PM
  • I do have a valid KMS key. As I mentioned in my previous post, the host is activating the WIndows Server 2008 computers. It is also receiving the requests from Vista clients but it is not activating them.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:34 PM
  • How many Vista computers did you try to activate?
    What is the activation count of your KMS Host?
    What is the error Message on your Vista KMS client when you try to activate them?
    Is there any erreor in the KMS Host event log?
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:38 PM
  • i'm not sure about the no. of Vista computers but the total activation count is 177 and here's the Event Log from the KMS host:

Log Name:      Key Management Service
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-
    Licensing-SLC
    Date:          10/26/2008 2:20:53 PM
    Event ID:      12290
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      UQU-KMS.UQU.LOCAL
    Description:
    An activation request has been processed.
    Info:
    0x0,25,mass-PC.UQU.LOCAL,e6b0979f-4861-44bf-81b5-c11ef3de8e61,2008/10/26 11:20,1,2,43139,cfd8ff08-c0d7-452b-9f60-ef5c70c32094
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
     <System>
       <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC" Guid="{1FD7C1D2-D037-4620-8D29-B2C7E5FCC13A}" EventSourceName="KmsRequests" />
       <EventID Qualifiers="16384">12290</EventID>
       <Version>0</Version>
       <Level>4</Level>
       <Task>0</Task>
       <Opcode>0</Opcode>
       <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
       <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-26T11:20:53.000Z" />
       <EventRecordID>24</EventRecordID>
       <Correlation />
       <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
       <Channel>Key Management Service</Channel>
       <Computer>UQU-KMS.UQU.LOCAL</Computer>
       <Security />
     </System>
     <EventData>
       <Data>0x0,25,mass-PC.UQU.LOCAL,e6b0979f-4861-44bf-81b5-c11ef3de8e61,2008/10/26 11:20,1,2,43139,cfd8ff08-c0d7-452b-9f60-ef5c70c32094</Data>
       <Data>0x0</Data>
       <Data>25</Data>
       <Data>mass-PC.UQU.LOCAL</Data>
       <Data>e6b0979f-4861-44bf-81b5-c11ef3de8e61</Data>
       <Data>2008/10/26 11:20</Data>
       <Data>1</Data>
       <Data>2</Data>
       <Data>43139</Data>
       <Data>cfd8ff08-c0d7-452b-9f60-ef5c70c32094</Data>
     </EventData>
    </Event>

Please note that I have already checked the article ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929829 ) and before you ask, we didnt deploy Vista using imaging solution so having identical KMS client machine IDs is out of question. And THANKS alot for following up on the issue. Greatly appreciate it.
    Regards
    Monday, October 27, 2008 3:00 PM
  • This event is one day old. Is it the last one?

What the answer to my other question (expcially the error message on a Vista computer)?
    Monday, October 27, 2008 3:16 PM
  • The event is one day old but the situation is still the same, i.e., the request for activation count is increasing but activation is not taking place. And sorry for not providing the answer to your question about the event log on Vista. I'm still working on to get the answer to that specific question as it isnt possible for me to answer that question right away. Thanks for the replies
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:45 AM
  • here's a snapshot:

Link 1: http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=windowsscripthostkb4.jpg

Link2: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?6bb31f8a62.jpg

The KMS count is not increasing. The Vista machines don't have same CMID. what could be the other possible reason?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:19 AM
  •  

Hello,

What is the output of the Windows Vista machines when you open an elevated cmd prompt and run slmgr /DLV?

Are the Windows Vista machines seeing this KMS host machine?

I ask because the count is set at 10.

The count is Nx2 and since with Windows Server 2008, the count is 5, the KMS would stop counting at 10.

If a Vista machine was attempting to activate, the count would be reset to 50 ( 25x2 since the count for Windows Vista is 25)

Since the count appears to be set as 10, I am wondering in the kms client machines attempting to contact this server are all Windows Server 2008 machines.

The output from slmgr /dlv from the Windows Vista machine should tell us which KMS host machine they are contacting

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

Your current count is 10 - you will need to get to a n-count of 25 or more before Vista VL clients will activate against that KMS host. Only physical instances of Server 2008 or Vista VL will increment the n-count.

Because the count is 5 or greater, the Server instances (both physical and virtual) will activate against this KMS.

How many physical Vista VL (Business/Enterprise only) do you have - and are they in KMS mode or have they been activated with a MAK previously?

Hope this makes sense,

Richard

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:38 PM