Mahjong Titans - Sound Bugs in "Mahjong.dll" (Problem & Solution) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I found some sound bugs in Mahjong Titans for Windows 7 32/64 bits (RTM and SP1).

There are three .WMA resources, in the file "Mahjong.dll", which have been wrongfully replaced by three .JPG resources:
    AUDIO\SFX\MAHJONG_NOMATCHES.WMA
    AUDIO\SFX\MAHJONG_PIECECLACK01.WMA
    AUDIO\SFX\MAHJONG_PIECECLACK02.WMA

Those wrongfully replaced resources are actually duplicates of these ones, respectively:
    SHEETS\MAHJONGTILESSHEETS3.JPG
    SHEETS\MAHJONGTILESSHEETS3X21.JPG
    SHEETS\MAHJONGTILESSHEETS3X22.JPG

The "MAHJONG_NOMATCHES.WMA" audio resource, is the sound effect you're supposed to hear, when you click on a blocked tile.

The "MAHJONG_PIECECLACK01.WMA" and "MAHJONG_PIECECLACK02.WMA" audio resources, are the sound effects you're supposed to hear, when the tiles are falling into place, at the beginning of each game.

Some people have already reported this exact same problem, but no proper answer was given:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/mahjong-titans-sound-problem/068c40a4-78d9-4906-971c-8cb767b0472b

I have successfully fixed the problem by replacing the defective audio resources, in the .DLL file, with the proper ones from Vista's "Mahjong.dll".

Don't know if I'm allowed to post the fixed .DLL files, but Microsoft should come out with an official fix for this.

Cheers!

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:11 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:59 AM

All replies

• Did you not see the link I posted, where there are more people complaining about this?

The files have definitely NOT been messed with.

I have tested the game in clean installations of the following operating systems:

- Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x86 (English)

- Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x64 (English)

- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x86 (Portuguese-Portugal)

- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 (English)

The Mahjong sound bugs are present in ALL of them.

But you can check this for yourself. Open the file "Mahjong.dll" with a resource editor and look at the resources I mentioned above. Then compare those resources to the ones in Vista's "Mahjong.dll".

Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Yes, the game works fine with the exception of those sound effects, which have been mistakenly replaced with JPGs.

When you click on a blocked tile, what do you hear? Nothing.

That's because the proper audio resource "AUDIO\SFX\MAHJONG_NOMATCHES.WMA" doesn't exist. It was replaced with a JPG.

What do you hear when the tiles are falling? An incomplete, "distorted" sound effect (compare the sound with Mahjong for Vista).

There are 3 audio resources responsible for the "falling tiles" sound effect:

AUDIO\SFX\MAHJONG_PIECECLACK01.WMA
    AUDIO\SFX\MAHJONG_PIECECLACK02.WMA

AUDIO\SFX\MAHJONG_PIECECLACK03.WMA

The first 2 have been replaced with JPGs.

When the tiles are falling, you only hear the third audio resource and that's why it sounds "distorted".

Can I post the fixed DLL file, for you to see the difference?
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Fantastic - thanks ktronic.  I've been looking for a fix for this ever since I installed Win7!  Much appreciated.  Microsoft should have fixed this ages ago.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:37 PM