Rename results in item not found try again/cancel dialog. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm experiencing a really frustrating problem with Windows 7.  The problem is quite simple.  It happens in every directory, but for this example, I right click on the desktop, select New and chose Folder and when I type in a name and press enter, Windows pops up the "Item Not Found" dialog.

I thought maybe Windows Search was super fast, and the folder name changed while it was being indexed causing this dialog, but if I hit cancel, the folder hasn't actually changed.  It will still be New Folder.  If New Folder is still New Folder, how could it not be found?  Plus disabling the Windows Search service did nothing.  I also tried turning indexing off on the directory to no effect.

I googled this issue and it seems common back to Vista, but those messages seem more about file locking or bad characters.  This is literally a brand new directory on the desktop, created by my user account with admin privleges and immediately renamed by the same account.  After reading for a bit in this forum, I tried renaming my icon cache and restarting, but it did nothing.  This install is a few days old.

Here is my PSR created example, note, the end result is the directory is renamed when I click Try Again, that step appears not to have been captured in this example.  Ultimately renaming does work, I just have to go through that dialog and hit Try Again for it to occur.

http://cid-45f8da2c2bc4f29a.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/itemnotfound.zip

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:26 AM

Answers

• Thank you for spending the time to research my problem.  I searched high and low for 2 days, and had also encountered the link you provided.  That link was for directories with bad characters, that could only be deleted through short file names.  My problem was more unique.  I could delete the directories all I wanted, and I could even rename them, I just had to say Try Again to the dialog and then it would let me proceed.

I'm happy to say I figured the problem out.  In my case, installing the Virtual PC update (Windows6.1-KB958559-x86) was the source of my problem.   For whatever reason, it did not install properly.  Once I removed it, rebooted, and reinstalled it, my system was back to normal.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

All of the directories have this issue or only a few directories have such issue?

After searching from the Internet, I find the following link can be helpful.

http://netfresco.com/tech/item-not-found/default.aspx

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If all of the directories encounter this issue, I also suggest you create a new administrator account and check the issue with the new account.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:13 AM
  • Thank you for spending the time to research my problem.  I searched high and low for 2 days, and had also encountered the link you provided.  That link was for directories with bad characters, that could only be deleted through short file names.  My problem was more unique.  I could delete the directories all I wanted, and I could even rename them, I just had to say Try Again to the dialog and then it would let me proceed.

I'm happy to say I figured the problem out.  In my case, installing the Virtual PC update (Windows6.1-KB958559-x86) was the source of my problem.   For whatever reason, it did not install properly.  Once I removed it, rebooted, and reinstalled it, my system was back to normal.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:55 AM

I have the same problem as yours.However,I couldn't find the specific update you mentioned above on my system.So I uninstalled all the updates made by windows.But the problem still existed.Then I reinstalled all the updates.

Unfortunately the problem still exists.Is there anything I can try?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:17 PM
  • I found this thread by Googling for a problem I was having in Windows 7.  It had to do with the Windows 7 Start Menu.  A shortcut was created in the "All Programs" menu after I placed a program in my %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\<certain program> folder.  Then I moved the file but there was still a link to it in the Win7 Start menu.  I right-clicked on it and tried to delete it, and got the "Item Not Found" dialog you speak of, with the options to "Try Again" or "Cancel."

A reboot fixed my problem.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Download file from link which one effective with your windows https://onedrive.live.com/?id=FB5A28BC4A1CC9B6%21182&cid=FB5A28BC4A1CC9B6

it solved my problem, this file rebuild the 'FolderDescriptions' registry keys. Use it only for windows 7.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:13 AM