none
Exchange 2013 Database Content Index Fail / DB Won't Mount RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have already ran the usual stop services commands for Exchange Search / Host controller, deleting the GUID folder, then restarting the services. I've done that numerous times in the past.

    These databases will not even attempt a rebuild. You try and mount them, they go nowhere. The Content Index State stays at failed no matter what I do. I am perplexed because every source says the exact same thing to fix the content index and pretty much nothing else.

    C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | FL Name,*Index*

    Name                         : CacheDB4\XMAIL-ARCACHE
    ContentIndexState            : Failed
    ContentIndexErrorMessage     : The database has been dismounted.
    ContentIndexErrorCode        : 4
    ContentIndexVersion          :
    ContentIndexBacklog          :
    ContentIndexRetryQueueSize   :
    ContentIndexMailboxesToCrawl :
    ContentIndexSeedingPercent   :
    ContentIndexSeedingSource    :
    ContentIndexServerSource     :

    Name                         : CacheDB2\XMAIL-ARCACHE
    ContentIndexState            : Failed
    ContentIndexErrorMessage     : The database has been dismounted.
    ContentIndexErrorCode        : 4
    ContentIndexVersion          :
    ContentIndexBacklog          :
    ContentIndexRetryQueueSize   :
    ContentIndexMailboxesToCrawl :
    ContentIndexSeedingPercent   :
    ContentIndexSeedingSource    :
    ContentIndexServerSource     :

    Failure Item (Namespace=Store, Tag=GenericMountFailure, Database=CN=CacheDB2,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=sjusd,DC=org, Instance=CacheDB2)

    Failure Item (Namespace=ESE, Tag=Repairable, Database=CN=CacheDB2,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=sjusd,DC=org, Instance=CacheDB2)

    Failure Item (Namespace=Store, Tag=GenericMountFailure, Database=CN=CacheDB4,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=sjusd,DC=org, Instance=CacheDB4)

    Failure Item (Namespace=ESE, Tag=Repairable, Database=CN=CacheDB4,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=sjusd,DC=org, Instance=CacheDB4)

    Any help would be massively helpful.

    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:29 PM

Answers

  • Delete the content index and remount. The databases will crawl for a few days. If this does not allow you to remount them. Run an ESE util and repair them.
    • Marked as answer by CKsjusd Friday, February 9, 2018 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:31 PM

All replies

  • Hi CKsjusd,

    Have you tried to delete these failed DBs, and then take a copy from another health one? this would help you resolve the issue.


    Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:31 AM
    Moderator
  • Delete the content index and remount. The databases will crawl for a few days. If this does not allow you to remount them. Run an ESE util and repair them.
    • Marked as answer by CKsjusd Friday, February 9, 2018 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:31 PM
  • Thanks! And my apologies for the delayed follow-up. It has been hectic. I ended up having to run an ESEUTIL /P, which still didn't work. I ended up purging the checkpoint / log files and it popped back up and allowed me to remount both DBs.
    Friday, February 9, 2018 3:39 PM