none
Strange problem accessing specific site RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an odd problem accessing a specific, banking website. I'm reasonably confident this isn't any of the usual reasons a website might be blocked. Here is the troubleshooting/info I have so far:

1) This problem only occurs on one of the tree domains in our forest. If you access the site from other trees in the forest, the site is viewable.

2) The domain which cannot access the site actually is NOT passing through a proxy.

3) I am able to access the site if I log in to the affected user's PCs with my account from a different domain. Thus, the problem isn't with the machines, it's with the users of the affected domains.

4) The site in question is not blocked by group policy; in fact, it is expressly added to trusted sites.

So despite being added to trusted sites and not going through a proxy, the site simply shows "page cannot be displayed" if anyone from the affected domain attempts to log in to this site. If anyone outside that domain tries to log in, the page loads fine. Any ideas, anyone?

Friday, March 7, 2014 4:28 PM

Answers

• site simply shows "page cannot be displayed" if anyone from the affected domain attempts to log in to this site. If anyone outside that domain tries to log in, the page loads fine.

Have you ruled out slow DNS lookup?  E.g. in the case of multiple aliases and redirects, IE seems to just drop out of doing the first request, thus giving that symptom.  Otherwise, what does F12, Network Capture show?  Consider the timings shown there at least.  Compare them with your successful cases.  Trace by a TCP packet tracer such as NetMon or WireShark may be needed to get a more complete picture of what is happening.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, March 9, 2014 7:11 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Please include links to any websites that you are having problems with your questions for us to visit and test.

4. Why? Public access websites (http or https) should work just as well if not placed in the Trusted sites zone...

Try removing the site from the Trusted sites list or use a wildcard domain... eg. *.bank.com I/o https://www.bank.com or login.bank.com.

Security settings are GPO/User configurable....

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"..

Please include full details of any error messages or warnings you receive.

Rob^_^

Friday, March 7, 2014 11:55 PM
  • site simply shows "page cannot be displayed" if anyone from the affected domain attempts to log in to this site. If anyone outside that domain tries to log in, the page loads fine.

Have you ruled out slow DNS lookup?  E.g. in the case of multiple aliases and redirects, IE seems to just drop out of doing the first request, thus giving that symptom.  Otherwise, what does F12, Network Capture show?  Consider the timings shown there at least.  Compare them with your successful cases.  Trace by a TCP packet tracer such as NetMon or WireShark may be needed to get a more complete picture of what is happening.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, March 9, 2014 7:11 AM
    Answerer