Migrating Windows 8.1 from one SSD to a new SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I've been doing a bit of research, and I'd like to slightly upgrade my current system by purchasing a new case, CPU cooler, and SSD (as well as possibly a new CPU.) I have heard warnings from people regarding cloning Windows onto an SSD (it won't be set up properly for an SSD, etc) but all of those warnings appear to be in the case of cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD, not from an old SSD onto a new SSD (which is what I'll be doing.) My question: Is it safe to clone windows from my current SSD onto a new one? (Samsung 840 Pro 256gb) Would I run into any issues? I want to avoid purchasing a new copy of windows, as well as completely reinstalling, because I have a lot of programs and frankly reinstalling Windows from scratch is a pain in the butt.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:36 AM

Answers

• Samsung Smart Data Migration Software is included with the retail version of this SSD....it will clone your older SSD perfectly.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi!

Even though it's a pain in the "you know what", the absolutely best thing to do is to reinstall the OS.

Since you are not chaning any components in the computer it's quite safe to clone the drive to another SSD, this since you won't run ito any trouble with drivers and so on. So from that perspective you are good to go!

The problems that might occur is that data becomes corrupt when cloning the drive, so for this reason I allways recomend a fresh install.

But as mentioned, since you won't be changing hardware or anything, no new drivers needs to be added or removed so even though it pains me to say it, cloning the drive is an option.
    If the data becomes corrupted, then you can reinstall the OS.

Best regards
    Andreas Molin

Andreas Molin | Site: www.guidestomicrosoft.com | Twitter: andreas_molin

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:52 AM
  • There's a good way to do this.

1. Perform a Full System Backup to an external drive. (button available under file history)
    2. Create a recovery disk
    3. Install your new drive and boot the recovery disk and select System Image Recovery.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Samsung Smart Data Migration Software is included with the retail version of this SSD....it will clone your older SSD perfectly.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:53 AM