none
Project 2013 - Local resource [jane doe] has the same name as enterprise resource or user, and the name must be changed before project can be saved RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, I see some related articles posted, but seem to be for previous version of Project.

We are currently running a On-Premise version of SharePoint 2013, and have Project Server loaded on it.  It is also 2013 version.  Our users are running Project Professional 2013.

We were importing projects from a previous environment (same setup, but we had a bad SharePoint/Project install).  So installed a clean environment.  We saved our projects to our local computers and saved "All enterprise custom fields and global items (larger file size)" when saving to the desktop.

When it came time to save the project to our new environment, we used the import wizard and mapped resources and continued with the exercise.  When we saved and published, it gave us the message, "Local resource [jane doe] has the same name as enterprise resource or user, and the name must be changed before project can be saved".  We had the users Replace the local resource with the Enterprise Resources.

We thought this would take care of the mapping, but we continue to receive the message every time we update (save) the project on the server.  Also, we cannot seem to rename the local resource.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Justin

• Edited by Justin TCM Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Justin,

please have a look at http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=211 . Gary described your current issue in a great way, including a description how to work around.

Good luck!
    Barbara

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Hello Barbara,

I either don't have access to that site, or the link is not correct.  is it possible to copy/paste the article you are referring to?

Thanks,
    Justin

It's me

Ignore above...  I think was able to find the article you were referring to.

Friends Don’t Let Friends use the Import Project to Enterprise Wizard in Microsoft Project Pro 2013
    by  Gary ChefetzNo presence information  on 6/4/2013 4:27 PM

It's sad but true that our old pal Import Project to Enterprise wizard has gone over to the dark side. After a number of attempts at bug fixes, the now evil wizard lurks in the shadows of Project Professional 2013 ready to eat the projects of the unsuspecting new-to-2013 project manager or scheduler. Until further notice, this tool is to be avoided completely.

Its most obvious shortcoming is its inability to deal with tasks in progress. Despite the fact that you map the resources to enterprise resources, for those tasks with progress, the wizard does not substitute the enterprise resource and instead brings the resource in as a local resource. You must then replace these assignments using the Assign Resources dialog to preserve the historical work record.

The previous may sound like a workaround but it turns out that the wizard has a nastier trick of removing resources and their assignments altogether. Some resources simply do not make it to the final schedule. Worse yet is that the affected tasks appear to be corrupted by these lost assignments in a way that causes the system to calculate new assignments to these tasks incorrectly.

Until Microsoft chooses to correct the problems with the Import Project to Enterprise wizard, Project Server 2013 and Project Online users are best advised not to select the wizard and use Save As instead. The two important facilities you lose in using Save As is that you cannot map task-level fields and you cannot map local resources to enterprise resources when the spellings are slightly different. You can however make sure that your names match in the file in advance and you can use the Assign Resources dialog to replace resources that do not map correctly. To overcome the task field mapping limitation, you can create a task view that exposes both the local and enterprise versions and use copy and paste to transfer this information by column.

• Edited by Justin TCM Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:28 PM no reply needed
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

now without '.' at the end of URL: http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=211

Does it work?
    Barbara

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Hi Folks, I used to scrub my projects first before importing them in Project Server using import wizard. In scrubbing what i usually do is deleting resources with 0 hrs, and mapping resources using team Build Team for Enterprise found in Add Reources. once they are finalized then there will be no issue in imporintg. Thanks to
    Jacques Goupil for explaining in a simple way

http://ppmworks.com/project-server-2013-ways-to-import-projects/ 

Regards

Kashif Saeed

Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:43 PM