BPOS migration and existing Outlook profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am planning my first Exchange on-premise to online migration and I have some questions regarding Outlook. Currently we access to our mail through Outlook 2007. Initially we are planning to stablish some co-existence for existing accounts. Well, the procedure indicates you should activate user on BPOS, migrate content and delete on-premise account. My questions are:

- Is deletion automatically replicated to Outlook?.

- Does the migration also copy contacts?.

- Can I easily recover the on-premise account if something fails? or can I somehow deactivate the account from the on-premise without effectively removing the mailbox?.

- When is the correct moment to re-configure Outlook to use BPOS instead of on-premise?.

Thanks in advance

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi, I would recommend that you don't delete the on-premise account right away.  The reason you'd want to possibly delete the account is so people don't continue to log into it, but there are better ways to prevent someone from logging in than deleting the mailbox.

To answer you other questions.

-Deletions are not replicated, so after a migration if you delete something on one mailbox it won't replicate to the other.

-Contacts are copied.

-As mentioned earlier, just don't delete the account, which makes it easier to roll back.  Just make sure the user logs into their BPOS mailbox and not their on premise mailbox after they have been migrated.

-Outlook should be reconfigured immediately after the account is activated in BPOS.  If they don't reconfigure Outlook after being activated then they run the risk of not receiving mail from other BPOS users. (mail between BPOS users does not flow through the local Exchange server)

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jimmy Marchetto Friday, November 26, 2010 10:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by IdiriaSL Friday, November 26, 2010 2:16 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi, I would recommend that you don't delete the on-premise account right away.  The reason you'd want to possibly delete the account is so people don't continue to log into it, but there are better ways to prevent someone from logging in than deleting the mailbox.

To answer you other questions.

-Deletions are not replicated, so after a migration if you delete something on one mailbox it won't replicate to the other.

-Contacts are copied.

-As mentioned earlier, just don't delete the account, which makes it easier to roll back.  Just make sure the user logs into their BPOS mailbox and not their on premise mailbox after they have been migrated.

-Outlook should be reconfigured immediately after the account is activated in BPOS.  If they don't reconfigure Outlook after being activated then they run the risk of not receiving mail from other BPOS users. (mail between BPOS users does not flow through the local Exchange server)

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jimmy Marchetto Friday, November 26, 2010 10:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by IdiriaSL Friday, November 26, 2010 2:16 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Dear Chad,

Thanks for your response. It seems I did not explain it well. For Outlook replication (first question) I wanted to say that if the deleted account disapears from Outlook.

Also, I still have a question. In a co-existence scenario, If I deactivate an account from the on-premise server... will it still forward mail to the BPOS server for that account (like if it was removed)?. If so, can you point me to any resource explaining how to deactivate an account in Exchange server to function this way?.

Thanks again.

Monday, November 22, 2010 5:15 PM