Lync with Branch Cisco CME RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My customer has a few small branch offices connecting to HQ via VPN. There is a Cisco CME in each of branch. Now we are planning to migrate CMEs to HQ Lync EV solution. My question is if I can reuse branch CMEs as the voice gateway for Lync without SBA required?

TechNet document "If branch sites use a gateway, both a Registrar and Mediation Server are required on site unless the WAN link is resilient" make me confused. Anyone can help to elaborate?

Thanks a lot.

Jason

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:09 PM

All replies

• You could reuse the CMEs as PSTN gateways but make sure the underlying ISR is supported by Microsoft.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938.aspx#tab=1

If they are supported then you will be half way there however you do need a Mediation server if you want to be completely redundant. Without a Mediation server there are still some benefits because you have a redundant PSTN connection but nothing more.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Thanks Alanmad,

There won't be  local mediation server, i'm trying media-bypass,  this integration is only for branch user local PSTN call, nothing else.

Jason

Friday, September 21, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Media bypass works fine but don't forget even then the signaling is still through a Mediation server and that is not to mention the fact that all inbound calls would always hit the Mediation server first. If you want true redundancy put a Mediation server in the branch.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 4:21 AM
  • Thanks Alanmad,

noted, if I put a mediation server in branch site, would that be ok to connect it to HQ Lync with a VPN connection?

If no mediation server, with about 100ms network latency and media bypass configuration, will the voice quality be acceptable ?

Jason

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:30 AM
  • Hi,
    You can try to check if Bandwidth is enough between HQ and brach site.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413004.aspx
    If you want to enable media bypass, you have to make sure the gateway also supports media bypass.

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support ************************************************************************************************************************ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Friday, September 21, 2012 6:30 AM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Thanks kent Huang,

can anyone advise if CCME support media bypass?

Jason

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Some info on Cisco/Lync interoperability here: http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/2010/12/cisco-and-microsoft-lync.html

Your best bet would be to place a Lync survivable branch server with colocated mediation at each location.  For smaller branches, a Dell PowerEdge R210 is a good fit that can go into a typical 2-post telco rack, and is relatively inexpensive.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

I also recommended to use SBS or SBA on branch site. I am not sure about CCME. You may need to contact Cisco Support to confirm this.

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support ************************************************************************************************************************ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:24 AM
  • Some info on Cisco/Lync interoperability here: http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/2010/12/cisco-and-microsoft-lync.html

Your best bet would be to place a Lync survivable branch server with colocated mediation at each location.  For smaller branches, a Dell PowerEdge R210 is a good fit that can go into a typical 2-post telco rack, and is relatively inexpensive.

Thanks Michael,

I've done another project with SBA in remote site, it works perfect.

But for this project, SBA for such 5-10 users remote sites may not be justifiable. It is not only about the hw cost, but also os/backup/antivirus and operation cost.

To me, if the local mediation is not compulsory, signal travel back to HQ mediation server is acceptable. Put the question simpler, for this kind of scenario, if local mediation is compulsory required? If the media bypass is depending on voice gateway?

Jason

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:58 PM