Runbook stops on "Monitor Failed" error, SCOM IP, Monitor Alert Activity RRS feed

• Question

• I am using System Center Orchestrator 2012 R2, and System Center Integration Pack for System Center 2012 Operations Manager v7.2. I have two runbook servers, bot have registered the same IP.

The Runbook is this: It monitors SCOM Alert (Use account locked) and writes the computer and user name to a text file.

The runbook runs fine for several days, and works as expected. But then Runbook stops on "Monitor Failed" error. The error is not relevant to SCOM Server rebooting times.

My SCOM Alert writes the text MycompanyUserAccountLocked to CustomField1, and SCOrch monitors it:

First Activity: Trigger: New Alerts, Name= CustomField1, Relation = Equals, Value = MycompanyUserAccountLocked

Second Activity writes the SCOM Custom Fields to a text file (Text File Management / Insert Line Activity)

Third Activity Closes the alert, if Insert Line Acticity returns success.

Any ideas? The Runbook runs 7 to 20 days, and stops. Any workarounds, maybe Monitoring the Runbook? The Windows Process (for the runbook) is always different, so that cannot be used as SCOM Monitor rule.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If "Monitor Alert" fails directly if you start the Runbook:

• Have the connection settings for OpsMgr changed? Try to connect from OpsMgr Operator console from Runbook Server with the account specified in connection setiings.
    • Do you have more than one Runbook Servers? Is in failing an all? Perhaps one has not installed OpsMgr Operator console...
    • Is "Get Alert" running with this Criteria.

If "Monitor Alert" fails after some day you start the Runbook:

• This might be caused by a connection lost...
    • My best practice is not to use "Monitor Alert". I recommend "Monitor Date/Time" (every 2 minutes" -> "Get Alert" (New Alert, Customfield1) ->  ["Update Alert" (Acknowledge) ->] "Insert Line" -> Update Alert" (Resolved).

Regards,

Stefan

www.sc-orchestrator.eu , Blog sc-orchestrator.eu

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:45 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I make a habit out of monitoring all of my monitor runbooks and restarting them if they fail. You'll need a 2nd SCOrch environment (I just use dev)and the Orchestrator Webservices integration pack.

Like this: http://opalis.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/monitoring-the-monitor-runbooks/

- Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

If "Monitor Alert" fails directly if you start the Runbook:

• Have the connection settings for OpsMgr changed? Try to connect from OpsMgr Operator console from Runbook Server with the account specified in connection setiings.
    • Do you have more than one Runbook Servers? Is in failing an all? Perhaps one has not installed OpsMgr Operator console...
    • Is "Get Alert" running with this Criteria.

If "Monitor Alert" fails after some day you start the Runbook:

• This might be caused by a connection lost...
    • My best practice is not to use "Monitor Alert". I recommend "Monitor Date/Time" (every 2 minutes" -> "Get Alert" (New Alert, Customfield1) ->  ["Update Alert" (Acknowledge) ->] "Insert Line" -> Update Alert" (Resolved).

Regards,

Stefan

www.sc-orchestrator.eu , Blog sc-orchestrator.eu

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:45 PM
    Answerer
  • I am also using other monitor activities, like "Monitor Folder" or "Monitor List Items" (Sharepoint IP), and they work just fine. It's a pitty that SCOM Alert Monitoring does not work.

Thanks for the workarounds, guys!

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:03 AM
  • One more thing... It is actually easier to build error checking for the Workbook, if it is a "Get Alert" rather than "Monitor Alert".

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:15 AM