none
New DPM 2012 Installation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install DPM 2012 on a new Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 server and every time it gets to the DPM part of the installation (local sql db portion installs fines) it fails with the following error:

"Setup cannot query the system configuration. 

Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is running. If the WMI service is not running, in Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services. Right-click Windows Management Instrumentation, and then click Start. 
    To troubleshoot this issue further, refer to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=167898 

ID: 820" 

I already checked WMI and its started and the repository shows consistent.  I found that the SQL Server Agent (MSDPM2012) will NOT start with the local account MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct that was created by the DPM install.  However if I add the MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct to the local administrators group of the server,  the SQL Server Agent (MSDPM2012) will start and I can re-run the DPM 2012 installation without a problem.  My understanding is that the MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct doesn't need to be a part of the local administrators group for DPM 2012 to work just like it does in DPM 2010.  So I am trying to figure out what user rights or permissions if any is missing that is not allowing the sql agent service to start under the MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct unless its a part of the local admin group.  Does anyone know if I may have missed a step somewhere or if there is some other pre-requisite that isn't documented that I should of done to prep the server?

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• I was able to get this resolved with MS.  We had a GPO setting blocking certain User Rights Assignments that prevented DPM 2012 from installing correctly.  The following User Rights assignments need to be configurable in order for DPM 2012 to install correctly.

Act as part of operating system
    Log on as a service
    Replace a process-level token
    Bypass traverse checking
    Adjust memory quotas for a process
    Manage auditing and security log
    Backup files and directories
    Debug Programs

After opening up the GPO settings on these user rights on the dpm server, I was able to install DPM 2012 with local instance of SQL without issue.

• Marked as answer by 24kbmamba Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:40 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:40 PM