Could This Be a Virus? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I would greatly appreciate some help. My computer was working fine until a couple of nights ago. I tried to access both my C and D drives yesterday, but they are not showing in the left window pane. I cannot access the C drive at all. I click on ‘My Computer’ and the green load bar will not stop at its proper place. It continues to load into the stop/refresh button. However, nothing on the page will load. It is just a blank page. I can only access the D drive through ’Recent Places’ and whenever I right click on any of the files/folders in the folders I can access, Window Explorer will crash. I cannot use the internet as Internet Explorer has stopped working. I can’t even run an anti-virus as Norton 360 will not open.  The last thing I did on the machine was download a couple of music videos. I have spent a lot of time editing and downloading files and I really don’t want to lose them. Going by what you have read, do you think recovering them will be possible?

Many thanks.
    Monday, September 17, 2012 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

please check if this issue happened under the Safe mode. If the error doesn’t appear in Safe mode, then a non-Microsoft program might be the cause of the issue. A clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.  

you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can use ShellExView to disable related extensions of Windows Explorer:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:04 AM

All replies

• Obviously, you don't need to lose them.

You can recover them.

All you need is a live disk.

You can simply download and create one using Ubuntu.

Boot from the disk, backup your data, and try a full Windows repair.

If that doesn't fix your issue, best thing is to go for a clean install.

MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

please check if this issue happened under the Safe mode. If the error doesn’t appear in Safe mode, then a non-Microsoft program might be the cause of the issue. A clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.  

you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can use ShellExView to disable related extensions of Windows Explorer:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:04 AM