RAM is not my friend...but I want it to be. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My problem occurs when I use software programs like Adobe Premiere CS3, Adobe Encore CS3, and other video and photo related programs. But those two are my main concern. So with that said I am having trouble understanding why I'm still getting error or warning messages that say "Low Memory" or "Running Out of Memory". I thought that I was able to put a pretty kick-butt system together and it was ready to fire on all cylinders enabling me to edit video smoothly with great system performance and no slow-downs. Boy was I wrong! Anyway, here's my system info as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINDOWS EDITION

Windows 7 Professional

Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Service Pack 1

SYSTEM

Rating: 5.9 Windows Experience Index

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600 @2.40GHz  2.40GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you can see that as far as the specs go it looks like a pretty solid machine. But I can't for the life of me figure out why I am still getting these "Low Memory" messages along with very slow and poor performance upon video playback. Does anyone know how I can adjust my system to make the most use out of the RAM that I have? Or if you know of anything else that might be causing this issue I would love to hear from you.

Thank you very much.

Romey 

• Edited by romeyniko Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:11 AM

All replies

• When you run CS3 or the other video programs, i'd suggest you have task manager open on the performance tab to view the memory usage on the machine. Just to make sure how much its using. Some applications are better than others at managing resources. But thats the first thing i'd check.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Just a thought,  are u letting windows control your page file?

try a larger size.  also visual effects,  adjust for best performance.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Hi Ethan,

So I looked at Task Manager while running Adobe Encore and this is the information I gathered as follows:

Processes: 81

CPU Usage: 1-2% (when video is not being played back), 37-40% (when video is being played back)

Physical Memory: 41%

Almost all of the processes that are running (81 of them) are things that I don't even use for the most part. Is there any way to allocate the bulk of my RAM toward my video needs? I certainly don't want to mess up my Operating System or anything but I was wondering if there was a safe way to do this. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Romey 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Hi Gasman61,

I had read something about changing your Page File size and how that could help with performance/memory issues. Do you know where I can find instructions on how to do this. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Romey 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:29 PM
  • hmmm ok, If the memory is available a program that requires it should just be able to use what it needs. But i shall do some reading and get back to you if I find a way to manually allocate more memory to a specific application.

Page file is recommended by most to be 1.5 x ram, so for 4gb ram , 6gb page file. 

Start, Control panel, Performance information and Tools, Advanced tools, Adjust the apperance and performance of windows, Advanced tab, Virtual memory.

You can change it manually or let windows decide (default is for windows to decide). Also on the visual effects tab changing this can improve performance but degrade aesthetics e.g. no aero.

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Thank you for looking into it for me Ethan, I appreciate it. I was actually able to find the 'Virtual RAM' settings and I changed the Paging File size to something larger. But after my changes were made my C Drive was maxed out to only about 100 or so MB's of memory left. So I really don't know what I'm doing, LOL. And so after that I just set everything back to 'System Managed' and the C Drive went back to the way it was before.

In any case, to show you what I'm looking at when I view my Virtual Memory settings I've inserted some pictures below. I've selected each drive (C,E,F,I) to show how much space is available (denoted by the blue arrow). Also, I highlighted an area near the top in yellow to show that I do not have "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" selected. Here are the pics as follow:

C DRIVE:

E DRIVE:

I will include the images of the other two drives on another message because the posting system will only allow me to post 2 images per message.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Here are the other two drives (F,I). I'm not concerned about the Passport Drive as I will most likely not do any editing from the Passport Drive. Anyway, here are the pics as follows:

F DRIVE:

I DRIVE:

Just a quick question, should I have the box checked for the option that is highlighted in yellow? In other words, should I have "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" selected? Thanks again for your help.

• Edited by romeyniko Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:38 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:36 PM
  • The space that page file uses is reserved hence you got the low space warning. But you must have set it to quite a high figure to have got the error.

For a test you can change it after on the C: partition/drive change the page size to:

Initial size:20000

Maximum size:60000

I will warn you this is a VERY large page file and you shouldn't need anywhere near this amount. But it should fix your issue and if your not concerned with HDD space optimization then its nothing to worry about. But if you are then if the test removes the problem systematically make the maximum and recommended smaller each time. Try 2GB or 2000 each time.

Regarding what you use the machine for. Remember video editing is one of the most demanding things you can ask a system to do. So even very high end computers will slow down to some degree. Especially if its HD video.

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hey Ethan, thank you for getting back to me. So should I only try these settings (Initial Size: 20000, Maximum Size: 60000) for the C Drive? Will these settings consume most of the memory on my C Drive? And should all of my other drives remain set to 'System Managed'? I am by no means a computer expert or anything but I do try my best. As for how I use this machine, it is most definitely a primary video editing system. I use this computer for video and photos more than anything else.

I have a few more questions. Can you please tell me what HDD space optimization is? I work with HD video only and so I am definitely concerned about anything related to HD quality, etc. I was also curious about your suggestion to reduce the Initial Size and Maximum Size by 2000MB increments. Is this only after the test (Paging File changes) has proven successful and should I reduce the Intial and Maximum sizes to the lowest settings that I can go to without effecting performance again?

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot. But I'm truly thankful for your help.

Friday, September 30, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Hi sorry for not getting back to you over the weekend.

"So should I only try these settings (Initial Size: 20000, Maximum Size: 60000) for the C Drive? Will these settings consume most of the memory on my C Drive? And should all of my other drives remain set to 'System Managed'?"

Yes just do it for c drive and leave rest system managed for now, It will consume some of the available space on the c drive. But we can change this if it works.

"Can you please tell me what HDD space optimization is? "

By HDD optimisation i mean to make the most of the space you have e.g. compression etc.

Having a large page file reduces the space you have for anything else. So the smaller you can get it the better but you still want it to do its job and fix your problem.

" Is this only after the test (Paging File changes) has proven successful and should I reduce the Intial and Maximum sizes to the lowest settings that I can go to without effecting performance again?"

Yes only reduce it if the test is successful. This will give you more space for other files in the long run.

Yes try to reduce it as much as possible.

Monday, October 3, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Hi, no worries. Thank you for your reply. I will give it a try and see if it works. Also, I know that this might be a redundant question but I wanted to know if I should leave the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" box unchecked (as shown in the screenshots above). Please pardon my ignorance, I just want to make sure that I'm setting it right.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:45 PM
  • If you have that checked you won't be able to manually adjust it. So leave it unchecked but you can check individual drives if you don't want to manage them.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:51 AM