sharepoint explorer view the parameter is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have got a problem with explorer view.

My problem differs slightly from others, and extensive searching I have done has not revealed the result.

Basically, some of my documents in a particular document library will open through explorer view, and some will not.

I have a drive, UNC mapped to the document library. There are several different types of documents in this particular library.

If i try to open some of the documents, I get 'Error: The parameter is incorrect'. If I try and open them through the sharepoint library itself, they open fine.
    Likewise, copy and pasting, renaming, deleting, etc all give 'Could not read from source file or disk'. However, they work when doing it through sharepoint itself.

Other documents in that same directory open, edit, etc perfectly.

There is no pattern to this problem. I have checked file name lengths, permissions, etc.
    This is a real problem because it affects random documents throughout my document library.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:38 AM

Answers

• Hey Guys,

Thought I would update this and let you know of the resolution.

Basically it turned out to be a completely corrupt web-application.

After so much testing on development servers, the problem only seemed to happen to one particular web - application.

It was not due to a faulty content DB or server as we transferred the DB to a new environment and it didn't happen.

Creating a brand new web application and attaching the original content DB to it has left us with our complete file system in-tact, but without the problems mentioned above.

We examined IIS logs, Sharepoint logs, everything and it was quite an expensive process finding out the solution.

The symptoms really led us down the wrong path (thinking it was a WebDav issue).

Hope this helps someone!

Chris.

• Marked as answer by oneilaus Friday, December 10, 2010 1:19 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 1:19 AM
  • Further investigation reveals it was ONE line in the web.config causing this.

The blobcaching was turned on. If i turned it off, this problem dissappeared completely.

Not sure why it is occuring with blob-caching turned on, i have flushed all the caches and checked permissions.

I am going to patch my sharepoint installation to the latest one and see if that fixes the problem.

• Marked as answer by oneilaus Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:51 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Is a NetApp part of the equation? 

Reference:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointecm/thread/a2b5a4cc-a302-4930-868f-a8e15bcd510e

Also does network service have read write permissions to the Temporary Internet Folder?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Hi.

No NetAware or NetApp isn't part of the equation.

The network service does have read write permissions on the temporary internet folder.
    I checked this in my initial troubleshooting.

I think the key difference here between this type of problem and other similiar ones, is that it is not consistent.

I have a subfolder with 5 files in it. 4 are PDF documents, one is a Word document. THe word document and one of the PDF files open, rename, copy, sendto, etc perfectly, the the other 3 PDF documents give the 'invalid parameter' and renaming issues.

Thank you for your assistance.

Chris

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Hi oneilaus,

It sounds like your permission problem. Could you please let me know more information for further investigation?

1. Which permission you are using here?

2. Which operating system you are using

3. Also tell me about your browser

Meanwhile you can refer below link.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/34543

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:24 AM
  • Which permission on the BUILT-IN\Network Service Account?

I am not entirely sure, not at work at the moment, but if I had incorrect permissions then wouldn't NONE of the files perform as expected?

2. I am using Windows XP

3. Internet Explorer 8.

All users have the same problem when trying to make the specified changes to the files. It is not just me.

Here is an example of a directory and the files it contains and the problems they have:

DIRECTORY:

• Word 1. doc - Can open, send to, rename, delete.
    • Adobe 1.pdf - Can open, send to, rename, delete.
    • Log 2.pdf - CANNOT open or do anything. Get 'parameter is incorrect' when opening and 'cannot read from source file or disk' when copying.
    • Log 666.pdf - CANNOT open or do anything. Get 'parameter is incorrect' when opening and 'cannot read from source file or disk' when copying.
    • Log 80.pdf CANNOT open or do anything. Get 'parameter is incorrect' when opening and 'cannot read from source file or disk' when copying.

It is very frustrating, there is no pattern.

I have looked at the provided link and cannot see anything there which may be the cause. None of the file names use invalid characters, nor are there invalid characters on the UNC path. The 3 PDF files that do not open are called Log 2.pdf, Log 666.pdf, Log 80.pdf.

Is there possibly a strange way that spaces and numbers are translated from UNC? And this is causing an issue trying to do anything with the file from explorer view?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Another note.

This only happens when accessing the files with the WebDAV protocl.

Using the other one (FTRM, or whatever it is), performs all these operations perfectly.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:20 AM
  • I had this issue with a particular folder on our SharePoint 2010 installation, the problem turned out to be one of the files in the folder had an ASCII 255 character which looks like a space in the normal view, a simple rename of the file to remove the offending character fixed the issue.

Cheers

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:16 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hi There.

Alas, no the problem is not fixed. I had a look to see if the spaces were the cause of the problem, but even after renaming the files through sharepoint view, they could still not be opened, renamed, copied, etc.

I am getting a third-level resource in later this week, so hopefully he will be able to shed some light on the topic. Will keep you posted.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Hey Guys,

Thought I would update this and let you know of the resolution.

Basically it turned out to be a completely corrupt web-application.

After so much testing on development servers, the problem only seemed to happen to one particular web - application.

It was not due to a faulty content DB or server as we transferred the DB to a new environment and it didn't happen.

Creating a brand new web application and attaching the original content DB to it has left us with our complete file system in-tact, but without the problems mentioned above.

We examined IIS logs, Sharepoint logs, everything and it was quite an expensive process finding out the solution.

The symptoms really led us down the wrong path (thinking it was a WebDav issue).

Hope this helps someone!

Chris.

• Marked as answer by oneilaus Friday, December 10, 2010 1:19 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 1:19 AM
  • Further investigation reveals it was ONE line in the web.config causing this.

The blobcaching was turned on. If i turned it off, this problem dissappeared completely.

Not sure why it is occuring with blob-caching turned on, i have flushed all the caches and checked permissions.

I am going to patch my sharepoint installation to the latest one and see if that fixes the problem.

• Marked as answer by oneilaus Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:51 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 6:56 AM