none
Using windows to restart shuts down the VM

Question

• Hi,

I have a new Hyper-V environment using Windows 2016 Standard and have run into an issue with restarting the VM's from the start menu inside the VM.

The VM will start the restart process but when it has finished stopping the services it shuts down and does not restart unless I manually start the VM from the Hyper-V console.

Thanks in advance

Bill

Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

Are all the VMs facing the same issue?

Which OS is the VM running? Check the following link if it is supported:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/supported-windows-guest-operating-systems-for-hyper-v-on-windows

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:14 AM
  • What are the 'automatic start' and 'automatic stop' settings of the VM in question?

Normally, the VM only cleanly shuts down when it is set to do so, as the default is generally to save the state.  And the auto-start setting normally defaults to resume.  But if they were changed....

Also, if the VM is hosted on some type of remote storage, the network stack of the Hyper-V Server or the Storage provider might not be loaded at the time that the hypervisor is attempting to start the VM.

This is where a start delay is pretty handy, to ensure that the necessary supporting services are and remote storage is online before trying to start.

You should have errors in one of the Hyper-V* Event Logs  ( App and Services, Microsoft, Windows, Hyper-V)

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Are you getting any errors in your Hyper-V-Worker/Admin log?  I had a similar experience (doing a restart from inside the guest OS seemed to always result in a shutdown which required manual intervention.)  I found there were always 2 errors in the log, Event ID 3052 "'vmname' could not setup Smart Paging: The system cannot find the path specified) and then Event ID 3042 "'vmname' could not reinitialize."

In my case I was able to fix it by making a change to the smart paging file location in settings and then changing it right back before clicking OK.  (In my case I just added a space to the end and then removed it.)  After that it seems to reboot on it's own without intervention.

This may be the same issue referenced here:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/17fac20c-80b6-4111-af2b-103ac8206f27/imported-vm-shuts-down-when-restarting-from-vm-os

• Edited by Matt Br Monday, February 06, 2017 9:30 PM
    Monday, February 06, 2017 9:29 PM
  • Hi.  This might be happening because you moved your SmartPaging disk to a system disk.  Try moving back to its original location or another non-system disk location.  The same thing happened to me and for weeks I have been trying to track down why my VMs were shutting down from a reboot, especially when automatic updates reboot the host.

www.techtronic.us - My App www.spaceweatherapp.com

Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:30 PM