none
HP UEFI, RAID1 with NVME RRS feed

• Question

• MDT version 6.3.5450.1000

We have several brand new HP ProLiant DL360 Gen10 servers.  We are configuring them with hardware RAID1 using two 300GB drives.  There are four 2.4 TB data drives and two 400GB NVME drives.  These are our first servers which are using this hardware with UEFI.  In the task sequence, there is a line item for "Format and Partition Disk (UEFI)" which carves out a 499MB boot volume, 128MB MSR, 99% remaining to Windows Primary and 100% remaining to Recovery using disk number 0 in GPT format. 

The intent is for Windows to be installed to the RAID1 disk.  However, it always goes on to the first NVME disk.  The boot order was changed in the BIOS by moving the RAID controller to the top, no change.  If I modify the task sequence to use disk 2, Windows is installed to the correct place.  However, another issue.  The first time the sequence runs and after a reboot or two, I get the pop up during an xcopy.exe:

"There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive D:."

If I re-run the entire sequence, MDT applies all steps without issue.  The logs are terrible and there is nothing of importance there to determine what is going on.

Ideally, I would like to figure out why I have to specify disk 2 (unless this is normal) and where this pop up comes from.  Any ideas?

• Edited by cdalemike2 Tuesday, March 5, 2019 12:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2019 12:32 PM

All replies

• Well, we figured out the issue.  Apparently these HP servers have an internal SD card slot which was showing up as removable media and potentially playing with the drive ordering, etc.  After going in the BIOS and disabling this, MDT is running as expected and no longer throwing the "no disk in the drive" error.  Hope this helps others!
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:43 PM