none
Bought a Re-furbished Laptop on www.propertyroom.com RRS feed

• Question

• Bought a refurb'd Lenova Thinkpad 730 on the website "www.propertyroom.com".  Used the laptop and was quite satisfied until the

HDD0 failed - so I replaced it with an SDD.  However, the version of Windows 7 was "Windows 7 Pro" for Refurb PCs.  I had upgraded it to Windows 10.  However, I was quite satisfied with Windows 7.  the Product Key was XX

T86DY".  When I tried to download Win 7, it refused to download it.  Any idea why?

Monday, June 6, 2016 10:14 PM

Answers

• If its an OEM PC ( i doubt ) then you could have installed Windows 7 or whatever version came with PC. 

And in case Windows OS was not installed by OEM then you will need a buy a license or check with the seller in case he can share the old license key with you or you can do it over the phone. 

Click Start, 'All Programs', select 'Accessories' right click on the 'Command Prompt' option and select 'Run as administrator. From the command prompt window enter:   slmgr.vbs  -upk
    Then press the 'Enter' key. This option (-upk) uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Activating Windows 7 on the SSD drive will require a phone call.

How to activate Windows 7 or Vista manually (activate by phone)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us

1) Click Start, and in the Search box type:   slui.exe  4
    2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
    3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
    4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
    5) Stay on the phone *** do not select/press any options *** and wait for a person to help you.
    6) Explain your re-install (after deactivating on the hard drive) on the SDD clearly to the support person.
    7) The support person should give you a confirmation ID, copy it down on paper, 
    8) Verify the ID is correct by reading back to the support person.
    9) Enter the ID number and click 'Next' to finish the activation process.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:46 AM
  • Hi Bruce Cascketta,

I noticed that you bought a refurb'd Lenova Thinkpad 730 and have replaced it’s HDD with an SDD.

I want to confirm that where did you get the win7 image?  For official site, we cannot use OEM key to download. You can ask for the recovery media from OEM.

In addition, if you used OEM key to active the windows and changed the hardware before, I’m afraid you need connect the manufacturer for further help.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Propertyroom looks to be an auction website. This means that the system was not purchased from an authorized refurbisher and is to be treated as a used computer. The only choices are to contact the company who refurbished the system to provide installation media, or to purchase a new license.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:01 PM

All replies

• What media are you using to install Windows 7? And does it give any error message?
    Monday, June 6, 2016 10:24 PM
  • If its an OEM PC ( i doubt ) then you could have installed Windows 7 or whatever version came with PC. 

And in case Windows OS was not installed by OEM then you will need a buy a license or check with the seller in case he can share the old license key with you or you can do it over the phone. 

Click Start, 'All Programs', select 'Accessories' right click on the 'Command Prompt' option and select 'Run as administrator. From the command prompt window enter:   slmgr.vbs  -upk
    Then press the 'Enter' key. This option (-upk) uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Activating Windows 7 on the SSD drive will require a phone call.

How to activate Windows 7 or Vista manually (activate by phone)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us

1) Click Start, and in the Search box type:   slui.exe  4
    2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
    3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
    4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
    5) Stay on the phone *** do not select/press any options *** and wait for a person to help you.
    6) Explain your re-install (after deactivating on the hard drive) on the SDD clearly to the support person.
    7) The support person should give you a confirmation ID, copy it down on paper, 
    8) Verify the ID is correct by reading back to the support person.
    9) Enter the ID number and click 'Next' to finish the activation process.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:46 AM
  • Hi Bruce Cascketta,

I noticed that you bought a refurb'd Lenova Thinkpad 730 and have replaced it’s HDD with an SDD.

I want to confirm that where did you get the win7 image?  For official site, we cannot use OEM key to download. You can ask for the recovery media from OEM.

In addition, if you used OEM key to active the windows and changed the hardware before, I’m afraid you need connect the manufacturer for further help.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Propertyroom looks to be an auction website. This means that the system was not purchased from an authorized refurbisher and is to be treated as a used computer. The only choices are to contact the company who refurbished the system to provide installation media, or to purchase a new license.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:01 PM