none
problems with IE 8 in xp RRS feed

• Question

• I did a bone head move recently.  Users computer had an error everytime she tried to use IE8.  I tried to diagnose the problem and didn't get anywhere.  So in a crunch I decided to try to uninstall IE and then reinstall it.  That didn't work out too well.  Now the internet options icon no longer works.... I am missing the menu bar across the top of IE and it crashes if I try to navigate within the browser.  So my alternative solution to get her back up and running was to install firefox. 

Here's what I have done to try to fix the IE problem.... I tried all of the microsoft fixes in the kbb pages.  I tried to re associate the registry entries.  Short of reinstalling the OS, I think I have covered all bases.... Anyone out their have any clues?  I have no installation disk, but a recovery partition on the hd.  I would attempt to repair the OS with an xp disk but it is a prebuilt ACER powerfh series desktop.  I want to avoid a clean install if possible.  

Can I take an OEM OS disk and use it to repair the system? Or am I stuck using the recovery partition only to fix this problem?

Your thoughts.....

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help guys... I figured it out... found the I386 files in the recovery partition and ran

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

in the run window.  It asked for the Iexplore setup file.... found it in the I386 folder.  Program reinstalled, and windows update found the security fixes. ran those fixes and rebooted.  IE works again.  Thank all of you for help!

• Marked as answer by Jameser1 Friday, December 21, 2012 8:05 PM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• See: "How to Reset Internet Explorer settings".

If the issue persists...

1. Please download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool (freeware).
    2. Reboot your PC.
    3. Please download and update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
    4. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode and run a Full Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    5. Reboot and Test.

Best of Luck,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Followed the above procedures and no difference.  Any other ideas?
    Friday, December 21, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Users computer had an error everytime she tried to use IE8.

it crashes if I try to navigate within the browser.

Same symptom?   Sounds like something interfering, so find out what it is and eliminate it.

the internet options icon no longer works.

What does that mean?   Can you  Run...  control.exe  inetcpl.cpl

With XP do not assume that there is a Filetype association for  .cpl   IMO that would be normal.

---

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry, I think you need to restore Windows using the recovery partition.

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    My MVP Profile

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Thanks for your help guys... I figured it out... found the I386 files in the recovery partition and ran

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

in the run window.  It asked for the Iexplore setup file.... found it in the I386 folder.  Program reinstalled, and windows update found the security fixes. ran those fixes and rebooted.  IE works again.  Thank all of you for help!

• Marked as answer by Jameser1 Friday, December 21, 2012 8:05 PM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Excellent.

You're welcome & Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    My MVP Profile

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:18 PM