Another SQL Reporting question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When looking at:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754123(WS.10).aspx
    I see in point no. 6 the following statement:
    "To specify which database to connect to on the computer running SQL Server, click Select the database on the server, and then select a database name from the list."

Question 1: Can I use the ReportServer database? Or must I create a new database?

Question 2: Then what do I do? how do I view the NAP specific reports?

Regards,
    Tom
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:22 AM

Answers

• HI,

Just an update for the forum.

I eventually moved to the production environment; where things appear to be working:

On the DC/DHCP server I installed and configured the NPS Proxy.

Then installed WS08 R2 on another machine, in hyper-v, and installed SQL 2008 Express Advanced Edition.
    Then installed the NAP Reporting Beta.
    Then installed NPS, and used its wizard to create the SQL db, tables & stored procedures.

Finaly, things seem to be working as expected :-)
    So thank you all for your feedback and patience.

I presume the issues I was having were related only to the virtual environment I was testing in.

Kind regards,
    Tom
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,
     Question 1:
         Generally it is adviced to create new Database for NPS , so it will be easy to take backup or any routine maintence work only for NPS. ReportServer database meant for storing Report server needed information, but still you can use it.
        More information on ReportServer database is available @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156016.aspx

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Hi Tom,

We have NAP Reporting Beta package with limited functionality. I am happy to give you an access to the reporting beta via MS Connect. Please send me your live ID.  It would help us to hear what are your reporting requirements while we develop the full solution.

Thanks,
    Sweety Chauhan

Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

I see that Windows 2008 R2 NPS has this new feature to automatically configure a SQL database, required tables, and store procedure for NPS accounting data.
    All I have done is created a new database called NAP...did not create any Tables or Stored Procedures - dont know how to do that.

I have not worked with SQL or Reporting Services before - so someone like me would need clearly defined step-by-step guides on how to extract these NAP reports.
    And please don't send me here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb960723(VS.85).aspx - as this is a sample, and I have no idea what to do with it.

I am basically looking for an idiot's guide on configuring NPS & SQL; and the SQL Reporting Services - to generate NAP reports.

I need to verify that my SQL logging configuration is correct - as this might be causing my other NAP issue (also in this forum):
    - when I configure NPS to log to SQL, NAP on the client does not work at all. E.g. It reports a machine with no AV and firewall off, as a healthy computer.
    - when I disable the NPS SQL logging, NAP client works as expected. Very weird.

Sweety - what is your email address so I can send you my contact details.

Regards,
    Tom
    • Edited by D Wind Friday, August 21, 2009 1:22 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I've provided some steps for configuring a SQL db, table, and procedure in one of your other threads at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNAP/thread/188cd4fd-67ff-469f-b968-b6f1c186cf1f.

-Greg
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Greg's instructions cover most of NAP SQL reporting configuration issue. My email ID is sweetyc at microsoft.com. You can send me your LIVE ID requesting for beta NAP Reporting package. 

-Sweety
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Thanks Sweety,

I have mail from Tom saying that he has this working now.

-Greg
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:18 PM
  • HI,

Just an update for the forum.

I eventually moved to the production environment; where things appear to be working:

On the DC/DHCP server I installed and configured the NPS Proxy.

Then installed WS08 R2 on another machine, in hyper-v, and installed SQL 2008 Express Advanced Edition.
    Then installed the NAP Reporting Beta.
    Then installed NPS, and used its wizard to create the SQL db, tables & stored procedures.

Finaly, things seem to be working as expected :-)
    So thank you all for your feedback and patience.

I presume the issues I was having were related only to the virtual environment I was testing in.

Kind regards,
    Tom
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Hello!

Any chance of getting access at the NAP Reporting Beta Package?

Kind regards!

Monday, May 31, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Hopefully someone from MS will respond to your query - I am kind of hoping that this NAP Reporting Toolkit will go live soon, cause 90% of the product did not work in the Beta release.

Rgrds

Monday, May 31, 2010 10:37 AM
  • Unfortunately, the NAP reporting toolkit is no longer available and there is no replacement for it at this time.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Hello RamaSubbu!

Any chance of accessing the NAP Reporting Beta package? I really need to get something out of that NAP database.

Kind regards!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

Will Microsoft at least provide some form of guidance on how to view the NAP reports that are stored in SQL?

Regards

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:34 AM