none
DPM 2012 Reclaim Space RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2012. I changed the retention to a shorter length on many of my backups. Is there a command in 2012 that would clean up the space immediatly?

I guess in DPM 2007 and 2010 there was a command pruneshadowcopies.ps1 that cleaned up everything.

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1 script determine which recovery points are out of range of the retention time and delete them from the DPM storage pool. But that will not effect any disk space allocated in the storage pool, it just effects space on that RP volume.

So after running PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1, you should "only" see decrease space on RP volumes. nevertheless you could see your unallocated space increase when DPM delete inactive Replica.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Marked as answer by Michael Sisko Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:57 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For DPM 2012, name of the script is "pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1" => locate in DPM BIN folder.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Proposed as answer by Ivarson Monday, January 21, 2013 4:21 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:06 PM
  • I typed in the script and I think it ran but I did not see any change in more unallocated space. After I typed it in it just stayed there for maybe 20 minutes. I feel I should see an increase in unallocated space because some of my recovery points changed use to have a retention of 15 days. I changed everything to 7 days as of Friday. I am protecting 20 servers.

Does this look right below?

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hi Michael,

PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1 script determine which recovery points are out of range of the retention time and delete them from the DPM storage pool. But that will not effect any disk space allocated in the storage pool, it just effects space on that RP volume.

So after running PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1, you should "only" see decrease space on RP volumes. nevertheless you could see your unallocated space increase when DPM delete inactive Replica.

Stephane

• Marked as answer by Michael Sisko Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:57 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Can I delete replicas manually then to gain back space? The whole reason I changed the retention period was to free up space but it has been close to a week and I don't see an increase in unallocated storage.

Any suggestions on what to do? There should be older replicas to delete or can you not do that in DPM 2012?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated 1/25 4:00

What I meant by replicas was if DPM had replicas per day to delete but I guess that would really be recovery points per day. I've done more research over the past week it seems like deleting and reallocating smaller could be the way to recover space. If anyone has another solution let me know.

• Edited by Michael Sisko Friday, January 25, 2013 9:00 PM Research/Clarification
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:44 PM
  • DPM will never unallocate space on replica or recovery point volumes on its own. If the allocated space on a recovery point volume is less that it used to be and the data doesn't sit at the end of the recovery point volume you can shrink it. Just select modify disk allocation for that datasource and click on "shrink". It will show you if it can shrink the volume. This basically does a query shrink operation on the volume. It will only actually shrink the volume if you hit "OK".

Never try to shrink the replica volume with disk management for instance! This can/will cause crashes of DPM as it is not supported at all.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:13 AM