none
Hyper V Manager : Domain -> Workgroup Server

Question

• Hi Guys,

I have had a quick look through the forum but cant seem to find anything on my problem.

The setup I have is as follows;

3 x Hyper V 2012R2 (Domain) Servers - IP 192.168.1.x

1 x Hyper V 2012R2 (Workgroup Test) Server - IP 192.168.9.x

I have on my Windows 10 1607 Machine the OS built it Hyper V Manager. - (Domain)

Now the problem starts here;

I can contact the other Hyper V Servers on the Domain (which I expected) but I'm having problems connecting to the workgroup server.

I have tried HVREMOTE tool to setup the trust relationship between my windows 10 machine and the workgroup server so that the manager can connect.

The HVREMOTE tool reports NO errors regarding the configuration.

There is no doubt a problem with trust relationship between W10 and the HyperV server but WHERE!!!!.

I have trawled through hundreds of internet fixes and broken many a hyperv server by doing so but nothing so far fixes the problem.

The message I get is below showing a very generic error.

But if I use different credentials (that I know has admin rights on that server) I get this error;

So I'm at a loss of where the problem lies and how to resolve it.

Has anyone had a similar problem using the Windows Hyper V Manager to contact a Domain -> Non Domain server.

Any information would be grateful.

Regards

Friday, January 20, 2017 11:05 AM

All replies

• Strange that you did not find anything in this forum.  This topic comes up regularly.  The management tools are designed to work easily in a domain environment.  Getting them to work from a domain to a workgroup requires a fair bit of work, as has been documented a few times in this forum.

Or, you take an easier route and find something like a third party tool.  I have seen 5nines tool recommended a number of times, though I have never used it.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, January 20, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Hmm, maybe there is similar posts but i'm damned if I can find them.

Yes, I have used 5nine and it works just fine BUT....

I want to know why you cannot use the Windows 10 1607 Hyper V Manager to contact cross infrastructure servers.

Like I said 'Domain Client -> Domain Server' or 'Workgroup Client to Workgroup Server' works just fine but 'Domain Client -> Workgroup  Server' just will not work!!!.

I just want to know why it doesn't work. That's all....

Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 20, 2017 3:00 PM
  • "Like I said 'Domain Client -> Domain Server' or 'Workgroup Client to Workgroup Server' works just fine but 'Domain Client -> Workgroup  Server' just will not work!!!."

Though I have never done it myself, I have seen posts in this forum that describe the multitude of steps others have followed to get it to work.  It was never a quick couple of steps; it was generally a whole series of things that had to be done.  The tools were never designed to easily work in that environment.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, January 20, 2017 5:00 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 2:03 AM